A community of problem-solvers dedicated to finding innovative solutions to the world's biggest challenges.
Imperial College London is a world top ten universities with an international reputation for excellence in teaching and research.
Consistently rated amongst the world's best universities, Imperial is committed to developing the next generation of researchers, scientists and academics through collaboration across disciplines.
Located in the heart of London, Imperial is a multidisciplinary space for education, research, translation and commercialisation, harnessing science and innovation to tackle global challenges.
Facts and figures
In 1907, the Royal College of Science, the Royal School of Mines and the City & Guilds College were combined to form Imperial College London.
- Imperial is home to 17,000 students and 8,000 staff.
- Over 6,700 degrees are awarded by Imperial College London every year.
- We are an international community, attracting undergraduates from more than 125 countries.
- The College focuses on the four main disciplines of science, engineering, medicine and business and is renowned for its application of these skills to industry and enterprise.
- Excellence in education is at the core of Imperial’s ethos and is reflected in UK and international rankings.
- Imperial is home to the greatest concentration of high-impact research of any major UK university.
- Imperial holds a Silver Athena Swan award, which recognises advancing women's careers in science, technology, engineering, maths and medicine in academia.
- Distinguished members of the College have included 14 Nobel laureates and three Fields Medallists.
Brooke Cagle / Unsplash
The Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020
- 3rd in Europe and 10th in the world
The Times Higher Education World's Most International Universities 2020
- 3rd in the UK, 10th in the world
The Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020 subject rankings
- Clinical, pre-clinical and health, 3rd in Europe (4th)
- Computer Science, 4th in Europe (7th)
- Engineering and technology, 4th in Europe (11th)
- Life Sciences, 4th in Europe (14th)
- Physical Sciences, 4th in Europe (11th)
QS World University Rankings 2020
- 4th in Europe, 9th in the world
Academic Ranking of World Universities 2019
- 5th in Europe, 23th in the world
US News Best Global Universities
- 3rd in Europe, 20th in the world
Reuters Top 100: The World's Most Innovative Universities 2019
- 1st in the UK, 2nd in Europe, 10th in the world
Imperial is one of the world's most international universities. Imperial’s global collaborations, discoveries and networks are transforming lives and creating opportunity in the UK and around the world.
The College's excellence – it is consistently ranked among the world’s top ten universities – arises from its talented students and staff who come from all over the world, and support from a global network of alumni, friends and collaborators. Imperial is a global academic community where people from different cultures contribute diverse perspectives, new ideas and fresh approaches to solving complex problems.
60% of Imperial's students come from outside the UK, including 20% from other European countries. Two-thirds of Imperial research includes an international collaborator, encompassing academic peers in more than 130 countries.
We believe that innovation thrives "when cultures collide and collaborate". That's why we defend our international values and think and act internationally.
The College is committed to exhibiting best practice in all aspects of corporate governance.
The College endeavours to conduct its business in accordance with the seven principles identified by the Committee on Standards in Public Life (selflessness, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty and leadership), and with the guidance to universities from the Committee of University Chairmen in its Guide for Members of HE Governing Bodies in the UK.
SW7 2AZ London, England, United Kingdom