We are Mavericks
An educational leader in the heart of the thriving North Texas region, The University of Texas at Arlington nurtures minds within an environment that values excellence, ingenuity, and diversity. UTA is dedicated to producing the lifelong learners and critical thinkers our region and nation demand.
A University of Distinction
UTA is a growing Carnegie Research-1 “highest research activity” powerhouse committed to life-enhancing discovery, innovative instruction, and caring community engagement.
Excellence and achievement abound at The University of Texas at Arlington. Our highly ranked academic programs attract the best and brightest scholars from around the world, and our faculty and students consistently receive national and international recognition for their accomplishments. The breadth and depth of these accolades accentuate UTA’s status as a pre-eminent place for intellectual pursuits and a driver of positive change.
- UTA was awarded R-1: Doctoral Universities—Highest Research Activity designation by the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education, the definitive list for the top doctoral research universities in the United States. This puts the University in an elite group of 115 institutions, including Harvard, MIT, and Johns Hopkins.
- U.S. News & World Report’s 2018 “Best Graduate Schools” rankings include more than 20 graduate programs at UTA.
- U.S. News & World Report ranked UTA fifth among national universities for undergraduate ethnic diversity in 2018.
- According to Military Times, UTA ranks No. 12 on the 2018 “Best for Vets: Colleges” list, the highest of any four-year Texas university.
- UTA ranks No. 9 as a “Military Friendly” university for 2018 by Victory Media, which evaluates higher-education institutions for exhibiting leading practices in recruiting and supporting post-military students.
- The University jumped 16 spots nationally and three spots globally in the 2018-19 Center for World University Rankings. UTA is ranked 150th nationally and 558th in the world.
- The Princeton Review named UTA as one of the "Best of the West" in its 2019 Best Colleges: Region by Region rankings.
- Diverse: Issues in Higher Education ranks UTA among the top universities in the country for conferring degrees to minority students. For 2017, UTA was No. 1 in Texas for bachelor’s and master’s degrees awarded to African-American students, No. 1 in North Texas and No. 12 in the country for master’s degrees awarded to Hispanic graduate students, No. 1 in North Texas and No. 18 in the country for bachelor’s degrees awarded to Hispanic students, No. 1 in North Texas and No. 2 in Texas for master’s degrees awarded to all minority students, and No. 21 in the country for bachelor’s and master’s degrees conferred to all minority students.
- College Factual ranked UTA in the top 15 percent of U.S. colleges and universities for veteran friendliness. The ranking is based on educational outcomes for veterans, active-duty military students, and their families.
- Military Advanced Education & Transition Magazine named UTA a "Top School" for military culture, financial assistance, flexibility, and general, online, and on-campus student support in 2018.
- Winds of Change magazine named UTA to its 2017-18 list of top 200 schools for Native American students pursuing STEM degrees, the third consecutive year it has been recognized.
- UTA is No. 9 on Great Value Colleges' 2017-18 ranking of the "50 Best Colleges for Adult Education."
- Forbes ranked UTA No. 191 on its 2018 Best Value Colleges list.
- UTA was named one of the “Best Schools for Latinos" by Latino Leaders magazine.
- A report from the Brookings Institution ranks the University of Texas at Arlington among the nation’s top public universities in providing a high-quality college education to students from all income levels.
- The Association for Women in Mathematics honored UTA’s AWM student chapter in 2017 with its inaugural national award for fundraising and sustainability.
- In 2018 UTA was named one of the best online colleges for nontraditional students by OnlineColleges.com. It came in at No. 8 on the list.
- UTA was ranked among the nation’s top “Cool Schools” in 2017 by Sierra, the national magazine of the Sierra Club. Sierra annually evaluates schools on a broad range of sustainability metrics, including transportation, waste disposal, energy, food, and campus innovation.
- The American Society of Civil Engineers’ Structural Engineering Institute honored UTA’s ASCE Graduate Student Chapter as its graduate student chapter of the year in 2017.
- Hispanic Network Magazine ranked UTA among the nation's Best of the Best Schools in 2017.
- UTA was designated a 2010-2020 Carnegie Community Engaged Campus by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching for service to the community and the public school system.
- The Princeton Review included UTA on its list of “The Best 381 Colleges: 2017 Edition."
- ValueColleges.com ranked UTA among the top 50 Best Value Graduate Schools for 2017. The evaluators said UTA’s location gives students access to one of the nation’s leading economic centers.
- The Center for World University Rankings placed UTA at No. 166 in the United States on its 2017 list. This is an increase from No. 175 in 2016, No. 185 in 2015 and No. 196 in 2014.
- UTA came in 36th in the “Environment Pillar” of the Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education College Ranking 2017. The pillar considers the makeup of the student body at each campus, helping students understand whether they will find themselves in a diverse, supportive, and inclusive environment while they are at college.
- UTA was ranked No. 1 in Texas and No. 49 in the nation on Washington Monthly’s 2017 list of America’s Best 4-Year Colleges for Adult Learners. The magazine chose colleges based on data from the Department of Education’s Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System survey and their College Scorecard database.
- ValueColleges.com ranked UTA No. 42 on its list of the Best Value Online Graduate Schools of 2017.
- Times Higher Education ranked UTA No. 126 on its list of the Best Universities in the United States for 2018.
- UTA ranks No. 141 in U.S. News & World Report’s 2017 High School Counselor Rankings, for which guidance counselors are asked which national universities and national liberal arts colleges they think to offer the best undergraduate education to their students.
- U.S. News & World Report’s 2017 rankings of the Best Global Universities placed UTA in the 416th spot of 1,000 universities. The news magazine ranked UTA No. 215 for its engineering programs and No. 283 for its physics program.
- UTA is one of only 63 institutions nationwide named to Phi Theta Kappa’s 2017 Transfer Honor Roll, which recognizes excellence in community college transfer pathways.
- UTA was ranked No. 8 in ValueColleges.com's Best Online Colleges in Texas.
A State-of-the-Art Campus in the Heart of North Texas
With a growing number of campus residents, UTA has become a first-choice university for students seeking a vibrant college experience. Our students participate in a robust slate of co-curricular activities that prepare them to become the next generation of leaders.
More resources. Less competition.
We have some of the most incredible learning environments in the University of Texas System. And the students who come here soon realize that they actually have access to it all. From the artists displaying their work in the Gallery at UTA to the future nurses responding to emergencies in our Smart Hospital, our students get the chance to work in spaces that blur the line between the world they learn in and the one they’ll help shape.
Our Alumni Make History
About 65 percent of the University’s 210,000 alumni live in North Texas and contribute to our annual economic impact of $12.8 billion in the region.
We connect students with their careers. We empower our faculty to pursue their interests. And we supply the world with fresh ideas and determined talent. What makes all of those things possible is our strong central organization that operates with efficiency, clarity, and integrity.
This school offers programs in: