About Hofstra University
Hofstra University can help you get where you want to go, with small classes, dedicated faculty and a beautiful, energized campus, plus all the opportunities of New York City within easy reach.
Find your future by choosing from about 140 undergraduate programs and about 150 graduate programs, in Liberal Arts and Sciences, Business, Communication, Education, Health Sciences and Human Services, Engineering and Applied Science and Honors studies, as well as a School of Law and School of Medicine. The student-faculty ratio of 14 to 1 and a priority on teaching excellence ensures you're part of creating your own success.
At Hofstra, you'll have all the resources you need - excellent library resources with extensive online and print collections, state-of-the-art classrooms, learning and laboratory facilities, and extensive wired and wireless Internet access, including the only Internet connection among private colleges on Long Island.
A diverse mix of cultural, social, athletic and recreational activities delivers the full college experience. Hofstra offers students the opportunity to live and learn on our beautiful, 240-acre campus on Long Island and have easy access to the academic, cultural and career opportunities in the New York City metropolitan area.
Hofstra at a Glance
- Founded in 1935
- Located in Hempstead, Long Island, 25 miles east of NYC
- President: Stuart Rabinowitz, JD
- Provost: Gail M. Simmons, PhD
- Private, nonsectarian, coeducational
- 116 buildings on 244 acres
- 25 academic and 28 total accreditations
- Member of Phi Beta Kappa
- 100% program accessibility for persons with disabilities
- Hofstra University has more than 134,000 alumni
- 35 residence halls housing about 3,500 students, 18 eateries, 6 theaters, and more than 200 student clubs of which there are about 27 local/national fraternities & sororities
- Hofstra has a vibrant campus with hundreds of social, academic and cultural events per year
- The Hofstra University Museum is nationally accredited by the American Alliance of Museums. The Museum, with a collection of about 5,000 works of art from the world's diverse cultures, offers 4-6 original exhibitions annually, and also oversees an extensive collection of outdoor sculptures featuring approximately 70 works of art.
- The Hofstra libraries contain over 1 million volumes and provide 24/7 online access to more than 100,000 full-text journals and 175,000 electronic books.
- 17 varsity sports
- 8 for men: baseball, basketball, cross-country, golf, lacrosse, soccer, tennis and wrestling
- 9 for women: basketball, cross-country, field hockey, golf, lacrosse, soccer, softball, tennis and volleyball
- All sports compete at the NCAA Division I level in the Colonial Athletic Association
Statement of Mission and Goals
Hofstra University is a private institution whose primary mission is to provide a quality education to its students in an environment that encourages, nurtures, and supports learning through the free and open exchange of ideas, for the betterment of humankind. Hofstra University is fully committed to academic freedom and to the transmission, advancement, and preservation of knowledge for its own academic community and for the community at large. Hofstra University offers undergraduate and graduate programs taught by a research-active and professionally engaged faculty. Academic excellence guides everything the University undertakes.
- Hofstra University's undergraduate education provides a firm foundation in the liberal arts and sciences designed to encourage intellectual curiosity. This broadly based education develops students' analytical and critical thinking, strengthens their communication skills (oral and written), promotes cross-cultural competencies and provides information literacy and technological skills that prepare students to become lifelong learners.
- Hofstra University is dedicated to the pre-professional, professional, masters and doctoral programs that support a wide range of career aspirations.
- Hofstra University is devoted to recruiting and retaining a highly qualified and diverse academic community of students, faculty, staff and administrators respectful of the contributions and dignity of each of its members.
- Hofstra University's faculty is committed to excellence in teaching, scholarly research and service. The University emphasizes and supports the creation and synthesis of knowledge as well as its dissemination. We believe the best education for students is one informed by their teachers' scholarly pursuits.
- Hofstra University is committed to providing the informational and technological resources required for learning and the advancement of knowledge.
- Hofstra University strives to cultivate students' social and ethical responsibility, aesthetic sensibility, creativity, and emotional and physical well-being.
- Hofstra University offers educational, co-curricular and cultural programs and activities that foster an awareness of local, national and global issues, encouraging students to be active citizens and contributors to their local, national and global communities.
- Hofstra University recognizes its important role in our local community and in participating in a broader national and international dialogue. We offer programs and seek opportunities that mutually benefit the Hofstra community and those beyond our campus.
This school offers programs in: