There are plenty of good engineering schools in the U.S.; but how far can good take you when your goal is to engineer better? At the George Washington University's School of Engineering and Applied Science, students work with professors at the top of their fields and gain access to innovative resources in one of most dynamic, research-driven centers in the world.
We offer master's, Ph.D., and certificate programs across a wide range of engineering and technological fields:
- Biomedical engineering
- Civil and environmental engineering
- Computer engineering
- Computer science
- Cybersecurity in computer science
- Data analytics
- Electrical engineering
- Engineering management
- Mechanical and aerospace engineering
- Regulatory biomedical engineering
- Systems engineering
- Telecommunications engineering
Students applying to any graduate program at SEAS must submit the following materials:
- Completed online application form
- GRE scores for all sections (quantitative, verbal, writing).
- Transcripts from all institutions attended
- Letters of recommendation
- Statement of purpose
- Application fee of $75 USD
A comprehensive list of admissions requirements may be found at https://graduate.seas.gwu.edu/admissions-requirements.
In addition to the general admissions requirements above, international applicants who require a visa to study in the United States must also meet the following requirements:
English Language Requirements
TOEFL or IELTS scores are required as part of the application package. Exceptions to this policy may be granted to applicants who:
- Hold a bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree from an institution in which English is the language of instruction and the official language of the country in which the university is situated in
- Hold a bachelor's, master's, or doctoral degree from an institution located in a country that qualifies for the TOEFL/IELTS exemption. A list of exempted countries may be found at https://graduate.seas.gwu.edu/toefl-exempt-countries
English exam scores may not be more than two years old. To ensure scores are received by GW, please use institutional code 5246 (TOEFL). An institutional code is not required to send IELTS scores to GW.
The following programs require at least a minimum of an 80 on the TOEFL and an IELTS overall band score of 6.0 with no individual band score below 5.0:
- Biomedical Engineering (M.S., Ph.D.)
- Civil and Environmental Engineering (M.S., Ph.D.)
- Computer Engineering (M.S., Ph.D.)
- Computer Science (M.S., Ph.D.)
- Cybersecurity and Computer Science (M.S.)
- Electrical Engineering (M.S., Ph.D.)
- Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering (M.S., Ph.D.)
- Telecommunications Engineering (M.S.)
The following programs require at least a minimum of 100 on the TOEFL iBT and an IELTS overall band score of 7.0 with no individual band score below 6.0:
- Data Analytics (M.S.)
- Engineering Management (M.S., Ph.D.)
- Systems Engineering (M.S., Ph.D.)
A transcript, detailed marksheets, or comparable document showing all course work, grades and proof of earned degrees must be submitted for each institution attended. This is required for all colleges and universities attended, whether or not credit was earned, the program was completed or the credit appears as transfer credit on another transcript. Unofficial copies of your transcripts or academic records should be updated to your online application account.
Please do not mail transcripts at the time of admission; if admitted, you will be instructed on how to provide official copies. Applicants with degrees from Indian universities must include marks sheets in their upload. Applicants with transcripts in foreign languages must include the copy in the original language and the English translation. Do not upload evaluations of your transcripts.
Submitting documents for I-20/DS-2019 Forms
It is not mandatory to submit financial documents for I-20 or DS-2019 forms as part of the application package. Although there is a section on the online application where applicants can upload these documents, it is not necessary to do. Only when the applicant has been granted admission to SEAS and confirmed the intent to enroll, the admissions committee will review all documents and request that the forms be submitted.
This school offers programs in: