EVMS prepares learners for careers as competent and compassionate physicians, health-care professionals and scientists. Our students benefit from the broad range of instruction provided by our full-time faculty, who work in concert with health-care professionals throughout the community. Education at EVMS empowers students, residents, and fellows to make an impact on the people they serve. We offer unique, hands-on approaches to learning, such as:
- Community service-based activities for underserved populations.
- Participation in institutional quality improvement and advocacy efforts.
- Partnerships with regional or global health organizations.
EVMS is one of the only schools of medicine and health professions in the nation founded by the community, for the community. We are focused not only on preparing the next generation of health-care providers but also on translating discovery into better health care for the people of Hampton Roads. Our vision is to become the most community-oriented school of medicine and health professions in the United States. While the benefits of discoveries at EVMS are felt globally, our research, education and patient care efforts grow from the needs of the people in our southeastern Virginia community:
- EVMS faculty provides medical education and leadership for the next generation of top physicians, health professionals and researchers.
- EVMS Medical Group physicians care for more than 1,000 patients daily.
- EVMS’ research endeavors focus on the region’s most pressing health issues.
- EVMS drives an annual $824 million in local economic activity.
At EVMS, a number of scholarships based on merit, financial need, diversity, fields of interest and hometown are available.
This school offers programs in: