Why ECPI University?
Once you decide to become part of the expanding and exciting world of technology, business, criminal justice, health science, or culinary, selecting the university to best meet your needs and goals is clearly one of your most important decisions. ECPI University understands the aspirations of people who want a direct route toward their careers goals.
Mission And Values
ECPI University, established 1966, is an independent, private university offering Masters, Bachelor of Science, Associate of Science, and Associate of Applied Science degrees, and diploma and certificate programs. Our Mission ECPI University provides a student-centered learning environment that promotes the enhancement of each student's professional and personal life through education. Core Values ECPI University is a private, multi-campus university founded in 1966 that operates in Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and globally through the online delivery of its programs. The University has a compelling history, and our success is dependent upon the trust and confidence we have earned from students, employees, and the communities in which we operate. We deliver high-quality education and student services and we are committed to the following four Core Values. Excellence in academics.
- Curriculum designed to foster life-long learning and educational excellence by reinforcing critical thinking, teamwork, problem-solving and communication skills.
- Industry-relevant programs maintain rigorous academic standards and are complemented by robust student support services.
- Hands-on, applied learning complements a strong theoretical foundation that prepares our graduates for the workplace.
- The qualified faculty is academically credentialed and enrich the classroom experience with their industry experience.
Commitment to students.
- Selective admissions process ensures that incoming students make informed decisions regarding their educational investment and are prepared for postsecondary education.
- Dedicated professionals support the student experience and facilitate the achievement of individual student success.
- Meaningful internship experiences and opportunities for graduate employment are available as a result of our long-standing employer partnerships.
- Rigorous institutional effectiveness process promotes continuous improvement of the University.
Professionalism in action.
- Professional appearance, punctuality, attendance, and other behaviors that are appropriate to professional environments are valued and reinforced.
- Professional, civic, and ethical behaviors are promoted through the examples set by faculty and staff.
- Student-centered learning environment simulates the workplace and encourages collaboration with diverse groups to accomplish common goals.
- Opportunities for students to demonstrate professionalism by participating in on-site employer interviews, networking, and professional events including career fairs.
Innovation in Education.
- Extensive use of technology is encouraged to enhance each student's university experience.
- Convenient, year-round schedules allow graduates to complete their programs in a timely manner.
- Input is routinely sought from the dynamic communities we serve.
- Multiple approaches are encouraged to reach educational outcomes and maximize student success.
Accreditation and Approvals
Accreditation - Institutional ECPI University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award the associate's, baccalaureate, and master's degrees and diplomas. Contact The Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404.679.4500 for questions about the accreditation of ECPI University. The accreditation of all campuses related to ECPI University is dependent on the continued accreditation of the parent campus located in Virginia Beach, Virginia. All campus sites, regardless of location or mode of delivery, are evaluated during reviews for the reaffirmation of accreditation. All other extended sites under the accreditation of the parent campus are also evaluated during such reviews.
The History of ECPI University
Founded in Norfolk, Virginia in 1966, ECPI University demonstrated early on its commitment to forward-thinking, market-based curriculum in an accelerated format and being among the first to offer classes in the growing field of computer programming. The name – ECPI – stands for East Coast Polytechnic Institute, signifying its origin and ongoing commitment to technological advancement in all fields of study. For nearly half a century, ECPI University was established as a career-oriented student-centered institution and pursued a path of addressing the needs of students and employers in Virginia, North Carolina, and South Carolina. During this time, ECPI University has established a reputation for integrating high-quality instruction with hands-on application-based learning. The result: graduates who are job-ready for entry-level positions in STEM – H careers. Classes continue to be small and are led by faculty members that possess both professional experience and academic credentials. Successful student outcomes, including student graduation rates and program-related employment, have always been and continue to be of primary importance. Here’s a brief look at ECPI University’s growth and development through the years: 1966 ECPI begins offering programs in computer science and programming with a focus on accelerated education to have students get into careers in the shortest amount of time. 1973 Following the introduction of innovations in telecommunications, semiconductors and integrated circuits, ECPI adds programs in Computer Electronics Technology. 1984 ECPI opens its second campus in Richmond, Virginia. (Subsequently, branches opened throughout Virginia, North Carolina, and South Carolina.) 1987 Main campus relocates to Virginia Beach, Virginia. 1992 Programs are expanded to include Health Sciences, including degrees in nursing, medical assisting, and medical administration. 1998 The school is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award associate degrees in the areas of electronic engineering technology, computer science, information technology, nursing, medical assisting, and medical administration. 2004 Following reaffirmation, ECPI is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award baccalaureate degrees. 2005 Additional baccalaureate degree programs and the use of distance learning technology (online ) are approved by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. 2006 Program offerings are expanded to include Culinary Science, Dental Assisting, Medical Radiography, and Registered Nursing programs. 2011 ECPI attains University status and is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to offer a Master of Science Degree in Information Systems. Today ECPI University has emerged as a leading career university, defined by its commitment to a student-centered environment including hands-on learning, small classes, accelerated degrees, superior student services, flexible scheduling, and relationships with strategic partners. Most notably, it maintains very important ties with some of the nation’s leading employers. They not only hire graduates but also sit on Academic Advisory Boards. Twice yearly, these board members meet to review curriculum and ensure that it meets the requirements of the workplace. ECPI University’s strategic partnerships provide the dual benefit of maintaining academic integrity and value for its graduates who can be uniquely-qualified to meet employer needs. It’s an approach to education that has stood the test of time. To date, the University has provided employment services to more than 3,800 different employers, some of which are among America’s largest, including AT & T Government Solutions, BMW Manufacturing Co., Computer Sciences Corporation, Lockheed Martin, Cox Communications, General Dynamics, Rolls-Royce, Hewlett-Packard, Sentara Healthcare, Boeing, Verizon, STIHL, Harris IT, Northrup Grumman, Canon Information Technology Services, and L-3 Communications.
This school offers programs in: