The fifth-oldest institution of higher learning in the United States, Columbia University was founded in 1754 as King's College. After the Revolutionary War, it was renamed Columbia in honor of the new American republic.
The School of General Studies traces its beginnings to the nineteenth century when the University began serving part-time students, active teachers, other professionals, and the general public. Eventually called University Extension, the School granted Bachelor of Science degrees beginning in 1921. Following World War II and aiming to meet the needs of returning GIs, University Extension was restructured and designated the School of General Studies in 1947. The college began awarding Bachelor of Arts degrees in 1968.
Today, GS serves exceptional degree-seeking undergraduates who have had a break of one year or more in their education, as well as college graduates completing coursework to apply to medical school, and students pursuing two bachelor's degrees in one of our dual or joint degree programs.
10027 New York, New York, USA