National Cheng Kung University is named after “Cheng Kung Cheng”, the national hero of the Ming Dynasty, who is known as Koxinga in Taiwan. “Cheng Kung” also means success （成功）in Chinese.
NCKU offers a borderless learning environment for students in its campuses, which are characterized by classical Western and modern eastern scenery.
The NCKU school spirit of “Pristine Practicality has been cultivated under the influence of Tainan City’s classical culture and complements NCKU’s motto of “Intellectual development through the lifelong exploration of knowledge”. While members of NCKU are well-integrated with one another, they also work independently.
NCKU Is a Research-Oriented Comprehensive University with Integrated Academic Fields
National Cheng Kung University (NCKU) was established in 1931. It is renowned for engineering, technology, architectural design and medical teaching and research. NCKU is one of Taiwan’s leading integrated research universities, and has nine colleges covering the fields of Liberal Arts, Sciences, Engineering, Electrical Engineering & Computer Science, Management, Medicine, Social Sciences, and Bioscience & Biotechnology. NCKU currently offers 40 undergraduate degree programs, 76 master’s degree programs and 54 doctoral programs. NCKU also has a national-level medical center and established the Research and Service Headquarters (RSH) in 1996, the first of its kind nationwide, which features more than 60 research centers.
NCKU Earns Reputation as an International Top-Tier University in Taiwan
The Ministry of Education (MOE) of Taiwan appointed NCKU as one of the country’s top two universities, entitling it once again to receive additional financial support for the Ministry “Five Year, 50 Billion” project and subsidized NCKU with NTD1.6 billion from 2011 to 2015 for its excellent academic performance and potential. The MOE has once again recognized NCKU and National Taiwan University (NTU) as the best universities in southern and northern Taiwan respectively. NCKU celebrated its 80th anniversary in 2011 and will make efficient use of the funds to continue participating in national research projects, strive towards excellence and live up to society’s expectations.
NCKU is an International University with a Multi-Cultural Campus
NCKU offers excellent support for international students, such as the “Buddy-Buddy Program”, which is designed to facilitate international students as they adapt to life in Taiwan. Through the program, students develop a better understanding of the local culture and customs. NCKU provides a free Tutoring Program for certain courses at the undergraduate level and also provides free Chinese language courses for international students in order to have an in-depth understanding of the local life and culture.
NCKU has a highly-regarded Chinese Language Center, which is an ideal place for foreigners to learn Chinese, and also offers international students a chance to enroll in specialized academic programs. International students are very welcome at NCKU. Join us and make your dreams come true!
NCKU Faculty & Students
NCKU is committed to enhancing its reputation through plentiful resources, strong alumni support, and cooperative ventures with the Southern Taiwan Science Park. To meet its academic goals, NCKU is staffed with highly qualified faculty and equipped with modern facilities. At present, there are about 23,000 students, more than 1,000 faculty members and more than 2,000 support staff and assistants. Of the students enrolled at NCKU, about 700 hail from over60 countries and are studying degree programs to learn and experience a new life here.
There are presently over 200 student associations, including the Vietnamese Student Association, Indonesian Student Union in Tainan- Taiwan, Thailand Student Association and Paraguay Students Union encouraging students to be active on campus. The University also encourages students to take advantage of the cross disciplinary studies.
NCKU International Students – Facts & Figures
NCKU currently has 665 international students spanning 5 continents and 67 countries enrolled in degree-seeking programs. The chart below indicates the nationalities of our international students as of October 2012.
*These statistics are not inclusive ofoverseas Chinese students, exchange students and the students who study at the Chinese language courses only
NCKU has three off-university campuses, An-Nan, where the Tainan Hydraulics laboratory is located, Guei-Ren, where the aeronautics and astronauticslaboratory is located, and Dou-Liou,where the NCKU Hospital Dou-Liou branch is located. The main campus of NCKU consists of several individual campuses and occupies a total of 188 hectares. NCKU started out as having only one campus, Cheng-Kung Campus, but continued to expand to its current scale. Each campus within NCKU is closely interlinked and tightly developed as a city within the university. NCKU is undoubtedly one of the most spacious and beautiful universities in Taiwan.
NCKU Main Library
In June 2001, the newly-built Main Library was opened, providing an abundance of technological and professional resources. It’s location within the Cheng-Kung Campus, surrounded by lush greenery, makes it an ideal sanctuary. The Main Library boasts a collection of 2 million volumes, more than 560,000 E-books, over 19,000 kinds of periodicals and more than 51,000 audiovisual materials in a wide range of fields. The library is the preferred place for students, professors, and citizens to study and learn.
The NCKU Museum was established in 2007, and is the first museum owned and operated by a national university in Taiwan. The main building of the museum was completed in 1933 for use as an administrative center by the university’s predecessor, “Tainan Technical High School”. The NCKU Museum aims to integrate the main museum, a campus environment museum, and departmental and college museums, essentially transforming the entire university into one big museum.
National Medical Center
The NCKU Medical Center is a first class medical center within a comprehensive university in Taiwan. It has outstanding faculty and abundant research resources, and provides exceptional medical training, patient care, and cutting-edge research.
NCKU established the primary Research and Service Headquarters in 1996, which consists of 59 self-supported research centers[P9] , and bridges the University, Government, and Industries through contracted research or services to solve problems, provide professional testing/analysis, and develop advanced technologies.
NCKU Chinese Language Center
NCKU Chinese Language Center (CLC) was established in the fall of 1982. It offers courses in Chinese language and other aspects of Chinese culture at the beginner, basic, intermediate and advanced levels. Besides the free Chinese language courses for international students[P10] , students can further pursue a language program by directly contacting the Chinese Language Center for an application. For more information about the courses and fees please visit: http://kclc.ncku.edu.tw/langcenter/
- According to annual surveys conducted by prestigious Taiwan magazines-NCKU graduates have been ranked as “industry favorites”each year since 1993.
- The Ministry of Education (MOE) of Taiwan appointed NCKU as one the best two universities, entitling UCKU to receive extra funds again for the Ministry’s “Five Year, 50 Billion” project.
- NCKU has a competitive edge and also has a high reputation in the fields of engineering, medicine, computer science, planning and design, science, biotechnology, social sciences, management and liberal arts.
- NCKU has earned its reputation as a top-tier university in Taiwan because of its excellent researchers and substantial achievements in the areas of research and academia-industry collaboration. According to the ESI database, NCKU has published 18,333 papers in the last ten years and is ranked 14th[C2] in the field of engineering and 26th in the field of materials science worldwide.
- NCKU was ranked 107th world top universities for engineering and technology and 224th in QS 2015/16 of Higher Education World University Rankings by the Times, and it’s academia-industry collaboration accomplishments rank it No. 1 along with Johns Hopkins University and Duke University.
- NCKU ranks19th in the field of alternative energy worldwide: NCKU ranks 19thglobally in research paper publications in the field of alternative energy (based on Elsevier’s report in 2009); NCKU is the only Taiwanese institution among the top 25 list globally.
- In the 2010 Performance Ranking of Scientific Papers for World Universities published by the Higher Education & Accreditation Council of Taiwan, NCKU’s engineering field is ranked 19th worldwide.
- NCKU has given Honorary Doctorate degrees to many internationally-renowned scholars and experts, including the 1986 Nobel Laureate in Chemistry, Yuan-Tseh Lee, the 2004 Nobel Laureate in Chemistry, Aaron Ciechanover, member of the USA National Academy of Sciences, Britton Chance, and the notable mathematician, Shing-Tung Yau, one of the 1982 winners of the Fields Medal, often described as the "Nobel Prize of Mathematics". NCKU leads Taiwan’s industrial development and has contributed significantly to Taiwan’s recent surge in economic development.
- Cradle of University Presidents : In addition to its reputation as an industry favorite, graduates from NCKU also perform superbly in regard to academia. There are over 60 NCKU alumni who are current or retired presidents of universities both in Taiwan and overseas.
This school offers programs in: