The Barcelona Institute of Science and Technology is a scientific foundation of seven of Catalonia’s research centers of excellence. Its main objective is to build new scientific collaborations among these centers, thus giving the impulse to multidisciplinary projects to push ever further the frontiers of knowledge. Each BIST center has reached a high level of excellence in its respective areas of expertise.
The Barcelona Institute of Science and Technology is a scientific community made up of members of the participating research centers:
- Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG)
- Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia (IBEC)
- The Institute of Photonic Sciences (ICFO)
- Institute of Chemical Research of Catalonia (ICIQ)
- Catalan Institute of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology (ICN2)
- Institute for High Energy Physics (IFAE)
- Institute for Research in Biomedicine (IRB Barcelona)
Our mission is to promote excellent research in a multidisciplinary environment. We are committed to the development and training of scientists to maximize science impact in society
The Barcelona Institute of Science and Technology’s aims are:
- To consolidate excellent multidisciplinary research across the BIST community.
- To develop a world-class postgraduate education and training.
- To build BIST as a stimulating and supportive working environment.
- To boost the scientific, economic and social impact of research.
Since we believe societal challenges need to be addressed from a multidisciplinary approach, BIST aims to become an international reference in excellent research through the right combination of approaches and to improve Catalonia’s competitive position in the global scientific context.
Facts and Figures
- 166 Principal Investigators (PI)
- 100 ERC Grants
- 29 ERC Proof of Concept Grants
- 1113 Publications in 2017
85% in first quartile journals
Graduate Students and Postdoctoral Researchers
- 598 Ph.D. Students
- 523 Postdoctoral Researchers
Knowledge and Tech Transfer
- 23 Active spin-offs
- 30 Patent applications