In a globalized world where the way of teaching and learning is changing, the main challenge facing the Instituto Marítimo Español is to achieve 100% employability for our students. This challenge is only possible based on good training, which enables students to be great professionals, with a network of contacts at the business level that facilitates networking in the maritime sector.
The Instituto Marítimo Español is an institution established in 1984 , and since then dedicated to maritime training in its different branches, both legal, as commercial and operational technique, thus covering an academic gap in maritime activity.
Our ties with the academic world come hand in hand with our main training partner, the Pontifical University of Comillas , a Jesuit university where maritime studies have been taught for more than 35 years, specifically Master and Specialist Courses in collaboration with our institute.
We also have other academic partners such as:
- The Bureau Veritas Training is the specialized Training Division of the international company Bureau Veritas, which has more than 20 years of history, and with which we have developed joint programs in Shipping and Offshore Wind since 2011.
- The University of Las Palmas through the joint Master in Repair of Ships and Offshore Units that we have developed together with the Canary Islands maritime industry since 2018.
On the other hand, in the year 2019 we have developed with the Catholic University of Murcia a Chair of the Sea, whose objective is to work by the sea and by its professionals, promoting maritime vocations. To achieve its objectives, the Chair has outstanding professionals from the maritime sector, committed to teaching, research, sports and business, who are part of the Advisory Council of the Chair, responsible for the promotion and development of the same .
Since the beginning of the IME in 1984 we have trained more than 4,000 students in different disciplines of maritime activity, not only in Spain, but also in Latin America, being today a benchmark in maritime training, developing training agreements and courses with foreign universities, mainly in Central and South America .
The IME is a member of the Executive Committee of the Spanish Maritime Cluster, also leading the Training Working Group of this entity. Since 2010 he has been a member of the Board of Directors of the World Organization of Cities and Logistics Platforms, and coordinates the Blue Cluster Platform for Latin America since 2019.
One of the main differential values that the IME has is its renowned faculty staff , all of them prestigious professionals, with extensive experience within the maritime, public and private business field, and great pedagogical capacity demonstrated throughout all these years . Mali Maeder / Pexels
Experts in Consulting and Advice in the Maritime Sector
As a complementary activity to training, the IME began in January 1985 conducting consultancy studies for the sector, having carried out in this period about 100 studies for the Administration, entities and companies in the sector.
Among the most outstanding studies we can point out:
- Studies on feasibility plans
- Technical and commercial studies
- Studies on strategies, rates and optimizations
- Creation of the Canary Registry
- Studies on the cruise ship sector
We have also carried out outstanding studies for the Administration and private companies that develop their activity within the Balearic Islands, among which are:
- BALCON Freight Conference: Project of inspection of freight conference of the Peninsula with the Balearic Islands
- Analysis of the cost structure of a type vessel, study and tariff regulation
- Collaboration and advice in the development of the viability plan of some shipping companies based in the Balearic Islands
- Study on “the cost of insularity in passenger transport”
- Study of new facilities and reorganization and investments in the port of Palma de Mallorca.
Community of Madrid
28046 Community of Madrid, Spain