One can hardly find a place in Russia with such an impressive number of implemented national projects as in the Krasnoyarsk Territory. Our most focused “development points” have been determined in industry, power engineering and energy, research and education. Siberian Federal University, as a response to regional developmental challenges, was established in 2006 to train highly qualified specialists capable of working in any region of our country, including severe conditions of the Northern areas.
The University was founded by merging 5 major Krasnoyarsk institutions of higher education. Among the members of the University Board of Trustees there are representatives of large companies, politicians and scientists. The Chairman of the Board is Dmitry Medvedev, the Prime Minister of Russia.
The mission of the University is to create an advanced education, research and innovation infrastructure and to promote new knowledge and technologies to meet global challenges. We contribute to the comprehensive maintenance of rational use of unique territories rich in renewable resources, this maintenance is to combine balanced approach to the application of ecological and energy-efficient technologies of natural resources management in the context of maximum environmental protection; creating of advanced educational research and innovation infrastructure; new knowledge and technologies advancement; creation of high value added production to facilitate the solving of crucial economics tasks.
SibFU in figures
- 19 schools and 3 regional branches.
- Over 32,000 students (half of whom come from all over Russia, including 380 overseas students).
- Over 700 post-graduate students.
- 7 860 employees, 3 450 teachers, 420 Professors and Doctors .
- 151 study programs (Bachelor & Master).
- 121 doctoral programs in 18 fields of study.
- 29 on-campus dormitories.
- 7 400 million RUR University profit in 2014.
- About 50 sports clubs in over 31 kinds of sport.
- About 100 creative and artistic student clubs.
- 70% of graduates get employed in the field of their major.
In 2015 our University became a part of the Russian Academic Excellence project which is supposed to enhance the international competitiveness of the Russian universities among the world’s leading research and education centers. The project involves 21 universities now. Overall, the expected result of the Project 5-100 by the year 2020 is the entry of at least five Russian universities in the first hundred of the global education rankings.
Positions in the rankings
- In the ranking of Russian universities held by the "Expert RA" ranking agency in 2015 SibFU was put on 14th position, rising at one point in comparison with the year 2014.
- According to the "Expert RA" ranking agency the SibFU ranks 6th among the best Russian universities in demand for the graduates.
- The National ranking of universities according to "Interfax" and "Echo of Moscow" for 2015 the SibFU shared 16-17th place with the Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration.
- In the Vladimir Potanin Foundation ranking of Russian universities, evaluating the participation of students and tutors in the educational projects of the Foundation, the SibFU is placed 17th in 2014 (25th in 2013).
- In 2014 SibFU got 3 out of 5 stars in the QS-Stars ranking of Quacquarelli Symonds company.
- In the Webometrics ranking of 2015 SibFU takes 10th place among all the Russian universities.
The university campus in Krasnoyarsk includes 29 dormitories, 24 study buildings, a building accommodating the library and the university administration offices. A University Assembly Hall is to be put into operation in 2015.
Krasnoyarsk has been nominated as the host city for the Winter Universiade in 2019. The Universiade Village will be located at the University campus which is favourably close to the main winter sports venue Academy of Winter Spots. The Universiade infrastructure is partly in place, while the following facilities are yet to be built by 2018:
- a multifunctional sports centre;
- a first-aid medical centre for athletes;
- a complex of residence halls “Universitetsky” (three 18-storey buildings);
- a complex of residence halls “Perya” (“Feathers”) (four 17-storey buildings).
Siberian Federal University offers for international students a wide range of Bachelor's degree programs. They are taught in Russian. Russian language preparatory courses are available at SibFU and they are combined with general disciplines (pre-university courses) included into Pre-University Programs, which prepare international students for direct entry into Siberian Federal University.
• WHY SIBFU
• SHORT & SUMMER COURSES
• RUSSIAN LANGUAGE
Siberian Federal University offers for international students a wide range of Bachelor's degree programs. They are taught in Russian. Russian language preparatory courses are available at SibFU and they are combined with general disciplines (pre-university courses) included into Pre-University Programs, which prepare international students for direct entry into Siberian Federal University.To apply for a chosen program students should satisfy the following eligibility criteria:
• provide a Certificate of Completed Secondary Education
• pass entry tests established by the University
• prove a good command of Russian by certificate or other document (apply to The Centre for International Education and Certified Testing for a certificate if you do not have it, the Russian language preparatory courses are available).
Academic year begins at the 1st of October. International students study together with Russian students. The duration of study in Bachelor-degree programs varies depending on a program, for more information see the table below. ram Title Duration Tuition Fee (per year)Admission
Master’s Programs at SibFU
• WHY SIBFU
• SHORT & SUMMER COURSES
• RUSSIAN LANGUAGE
Siberian Federal University offers a wide range of Master’s Level programs:
• Master’s Degree Programs in English;
• Specialized English-Taught International Semester Programs of Master’s Level;
• Master’s Degree Programs in English and in Russian;
• Double Degree Master’s Program.
Our Master’s Degree Programs are mostly focused on research activities. Teaching staff on the programs are represented by researchers with wide international networks that provide a strong link between research and teaching.
Master’s degree programs consist of a number of compulsory courses, elective courses and a research work on the topic of students’ interests that ends up with writing a thesis. The master’s thesis project is performed either in a research group at the department under the supervision of one of the academic staff members or externally. For example, in a company, at another research institution, laboratory or another university. A defense of the master’s thesis is held in the form of a public presentation and scientific debates.
Our strongly research-based Master’s degree programs give our graduates a solid background (in-depth knowledge, tools and competencies) for further development to compete on the job market.
Studying science at the advanced level gives students the ability of an excellent preparation for a future research to earn a PhD SibFU degree.
Academic year begins on October 1st The Master’s degree holder can continue studying to earn a PhD SibFU degree.
International students can be admitted either via personal contact or under exchange agreements with partner universities. To establish an individual contact:
Step 1: Choose a Program
Please, refer to the section "Education for International Students" (see Bachelor’s Programs, Master’s Programs, PhD's Programs,Russian Language Preparation Programs) and the web pages of a university schools to find out the information about the institute study programmes available for international students, their tuition cost and the cost of accomodation (in many cases, the university may not be able to provide you with housing).
Having found a degree programme/course that satisfies you please take Step 2 of this instruction.
If you cannot find necessary information or you need more information about the programme/course of your choice please address your queries to the Department of International Educational Programs.
Step 2: Submit Application Form
FILL IN ONLINE APPLICATION FORM
To your application form you should attach a copy of EVERY PAGE (including empty pages) of your international passport. The passport should be valid for at least 18 months after the prospective starting date of your studies. It is your responsibility to find out if your request and documents have been received by the institute and are eligible for processing.
Step 3: Agreement, Payment, Invitation Letter and Visa
After receiving your application form the International Department will send you the Learning Agreement with terms and conditions. Please, sign it and email its scanned copy back to the International Department at email@example.com.
On the basis of your signed Contract the Financial office will bill you for the cost of your tuition (for a semester in case you take a year-long course/programme). After receiving the confirmation of payment the department will apply for an invitation letter for you.
The Invitation Letter necessary for you to receive the Russian visa will be issued by the Krasnoyarsk Visa and Immigration Office within 30-45 days (official processing time). (The Visa and Migration office charges the University for 500RUR for issuing an invitation letter. This sum should be refunded to the International Department upon arrival to the University.) You will receive the notification that the document is ready from the International Department, Siberian Federal University, and may either collect it in person or appoint somebody with your Power of Attorney to collect it for you. In this case, they will be asked to bring the Power of Attorney Letter (it may be faxed or scanned) certifying that they may act on your behalf. Otherwise, you may prefer to receive it by express mail in which case it is your responsibility to pay the postage fees.
Meanwhile, find out from your nearest Russian Embassy what documents you need to supply with your visa application. It is recommended that you start preparing your documents well in advance as it may be a lengthy process. Depending upon the country in which you live travel arrangements can take several months. It is important that you receive your visa at the Embassy closest to the place where you permanently live.Step 4: Arrival at Krasnoyarsk, Registration
On your arrival at Krasnoyarsk, go to the International Department (see also How to get to SibFU). We will contact the department / institute you would like to study at and do the necessary enrollment paperwork. Please, bring all the necessary documents (see below), including the original of your previous educational certificates (legalized by the Consulate of the Russian Federation or APOSTELE) and two legally notarized copies with the translation into Russian to meet the requirements of your programme. The International Department will assist you in applying for the Academic Equivalency Certificate which is mandatory for enrollment to the university (this can be done during the pre-university preparatory course or the first year of your programme). Please be prepared to take admission tests in the area you would like to study, which, in some cases, can be substituted by an interview.
It is mandatory that you register with the International Department, Siberian Federal University within 3 days after your arrival in Krasnoyarsk. It is important to remember that we will register you with the Office of International Affairs only if your Invitation Letter has been issued on behalf of Siberian Federal University. Business visa or any other visa is not suitable for this purpose.
Registering with a university is a normal procedure and we can give you the information about how to do this when you arrive here. In order to help you with registering the International Department will ask you to provide:
• your passport
• your visa and immigration card
• original of your previous educational certificates (legalized by the Consulate of the Russian Federation or APOSTELE) and two legally notarized copies with the translation into Russian
• a Russian proficiency test score (apply to The Centre for International Education and Certified Testing for a certificate if you do not have it, the Russian language preparatory course is available)
• a medical certificate with standard blood tests (including HIV)
• 12 recent photographs of yourself, 4 cm x 3 cm in size
• medical insurance (apply to the International Office if you do not have it)
This school offers programs in: