Samara National Research University is one of the leading Russian universities, highly-regarded not only in Russia but abroad. Samara University trains specialists in rocket and space engineering, aviation, radio electronics, metallurgy, the automotive industry, the information-and-communication industry, and other fields.
Its student body includes students from Russia, other CIS countries, countries of Western Europe, South America, China, Southeast Asia and Africa. Every student here can find a major for him- or herself and is on his way to a prestigious degree. University graduates are awarded state diplomas as specialists, bachelors and masters.
The university is among the country’s leading federal and regional innovative educational institutions.
Today, the University provides education in 110 major programmes and 6 minor programmes. The University is home to 9 Doctor and Grand Doctor Dissertation Councils. The University’s faculty includes 5 members and corresponding members of the Russian Academy of Sciences, around 100 members and corresponding members of the Public Academy of Sciences, 53 winners of Lenin, State and other prizes. 75 faculty members hold state awards, and 70 have received distinguished lifetime service awards. Teaching staff includes 1400 professors and lecturers. Internships for university students are organised at 57 enterprises in aerospace and other industries in the region and across the country. SSAU students are awarded stipends on an annual basis by different enterprises.
In 2006, as part of the Priority National Project on Education, the University won the national contest among universities working on innovative educational programmes with its project “Development of the Centre of Competencies and Training World-Class Experts in Aerospace and Geoinformation Technologies.”
In 2009, the University became one of 14 higher education institutions in Russia to be awarded the status of National Research University.
In 2013, Samara University became one of 15 leading Russian universities implementing competitiveness development programmes for leading international science and education centres.
In 2015, Samara State University was joined to Samara State Aerospace University thus greatly increasing the number of educational programs.
Samara University has been recognised as the key university for the aerospace cluster of Samara Region. The University cooperates with science centres and corporations in the Russian aerospace industry. Over the past decade, the University has continued blending research and educational activities. Many years of tradition, authoritative science schools and resources allow the University to remain one of the leading educational and research institutions of Russia, participate in state and regional science and technology programmes, and foster international cooperation.
Over the long years of its history, the University has trained more than 50,000 highly-qualified experts, many of whom have become renowned scholars, designers and managers, prominent public and government figures. Over the past fifty years, almost all heads of aerospace institutions in Samara Region were and are graduates of KuAI and SSAU. The University is proud of its alumni!
The Structure of the University includes:
- Faculties (including 56 chairs with laboratories and offices): Aircraft Construction, Aircraft Engine Design, Air Transport Engineers, Industrial Engineering, Radio Engineering, Informational Science, Economics and Management, Base Preparation and Fundamental Sciences and Correspondence Education; now9Alexander Lazutkin, Pilot-astronaut, is a frequent guest at SSAU.
- Institutions: Institute of Supplementary Professional Education, Printing Institute;
- The research library stocked with over 1 million books and electronic resources;
- Research institutes: Research Institute of Machine Acoustics, Research Institute of Airframe constructions, Research Institute of Instrument-making, Research Institute of Technologies and Quality Problems, Research Institute of System Designing;
- Air Transport and Aviation Technical College;
- 35 research laboratories and centres;
- Training airfield;
- Centre for the History of aircraft engines named after N.D. Kuznetsov; it is an educational and scientific-technical centre which is included in the All-Russian Museum Register. The world's largest collection of Russian gas turbine engines is assembled here, the bank of the implemented engineering experience in the field of aviation gas turbine engine.
- Intercollegiate media centre with supercomputer;
- The centre for receiving and processing space information;
- Inter-department educational and research centre of CAM-technologies;
- Public museum of aviation and cosmonautics;
- Health and fitness centres;
- Halls of residence for students and the hotel;
- The University has 9 dissertation councils for doctoral and master's theses.
This school offers programs in: