Founded in 1724 by Peter the Great, Saint Petersburg University was to become the first institution of higher education in Russia. SPbU is a leading Russian university with teaching and research excellence ranked among the world’s top universities. We are open to cooperation and enjoy strong ties with the international research and academic community. SPbU scientists work in almost all fields of knowledge, providing expertise and consultation in close collaboration with Russian and international partners. Many outstanding scholars have been a part of the SPbU community, including nine Nobel Prize winners: the physiologist Ivan Pavlov, biologist Ilya Mechnikov, physicist and chemist Nikolay Semyonov, physicists Lev Landau and Aleksandr Prokhorov, philosopher and economist Wassily Leontief as well as mathematician and economist Leonid Kantorovich.
Among University alumni are the President of the Russian Federation Vladimir Putin, Prime-Minister Dmitry Medvedev, Director of the Hermitage Mikhail Piotrovskiy, President of the Russian Academy of Education Liudmila Verbitskaya, mathematicians Grigoriy Perelman and Sergey Smirnov as well as many others.
St. Petersburg University Today
- 30,000 students
- 6,000 staff members
- 85 bachelor and specialist degree programmes
- 172 master studies
- 49 doctoral studies
- international students from over 70 countries
- over 3000 international students on degree and non-degree programmes
- more then 400 partner universities
- the best university Research Park in Russia
- 6,900,000 books in the collection of the University Research Library
- diploma issued in Russian and English
- 12,800 places in the halls of residence
- active student participation in the educational process
- the best realization of a student’s individual potential
- ECTS – European Credit Transfer System
- academic disciplines are designed according to the modular principle
- student exchange programmes with partner universities
- internships and work placements at leading Russian and international companies
- access to unique research facilities, technology and full-text electronic databases
- modern educational technologies
- state-of-the-art research equipment
- state scholarships for the best selected international applicants (free tuition and discounted accommodation)
- on-line application at the SPbU website – www.spbu.ru
- opportunity to master Russian at the Institute of the Russian Language and Culture
SPbU accepts more than 3000 international students annually on various degree and non-degree programmes.
SPbU has more than 400 partner universities in about 70 countries — China, Germany, USA, France, Finland, Japan, the Republic of Korea, and Brazil. More than 25 international summer and winter schools are held at SPbU annually.
SPbU is a member of a number of international associations and student exchange programmes and internships: Erasmus Mundus, Erasmus+, Finnish-Russian Cross Border University, Finnish-Russian Student Exchange Program, Santander Universities, TEMPUS, and many others. SPbU has long-term cooperation agreements with IBM, Carl Zeiss, Microsoft, Leica, Sun Microsystems, Intel, Adobe and many other leading international companies.
SPbU’s education is highly valued on the international market. Our graduates are employed by the best Russian and international companies. The University’s close cooperation with leading firms gives graduates an opportunity to choose the best employers.
International cooperation with universities worldwide provides our academic staff and students access to numerous research and study opportunities. Students and researchers benefit from international cooperation, enabling them to share experience and keep abreast of the latest advancements in global science. Ties between scientific communities are the strongest in the world and SPbU takes pride in being a part of that.
Science & Research at SPbU
Our scientists conduct research in almost all fields of knowledge, provide expertise and consulting, and enjoy close ties with Russian and international partners. The results of the research are reported in high-impact international journals.
Priority research areas:
- nanotechnology and materials science
- biomedicine and human health
- information systems and technology
- ecology and nature management
- social research and technologies
- human resource management and technologies
SPbU has cutting-edge research facilities — a state-of-the-art Research Park with 26 resource centres. Research centres are open for students to carry out laboratory work as part of main educational programmes and conduct research in preparation of graduate projects and theses. Over the last five years SPbU has established 20 new research laboratories.
This school offers programs in: