The Plekhanov Russian University of Economics was founded in 1907. During more than 100-year period, the university has always been closely connected with national economy: development of commerce and technologies of food production in the beginning of XX century, then, formation of commodity science, growth of the cooperative movement, creation of state economic statistics and systems of planning, economic reforms of 1965-1970, macroeconomics and sectoral studies in the 1980s, promotion of market structures formation in 1990s. The high practical orientation of education and its relations to the realities of the economic situation in the country over the years are a unique feature of the University.
In 2012-2015 the enlargement of the Plekhanov Russian University of Economics took place by the accession of the Saratov State Socio-Economic University, Russian State University of Trade and Economics and the Moscow State University of Economics, Statistics and Informatics to it. Nowadays Plekhanov Russian University of Economics (PRUE) is one of the leading scientific, methodical and study centre in Russia, training academic and teaching staff, as well as scientific personnel through the Department of postgraduate (doctoral) studies. Currently, at the Plekhanov Russian University of Economics, the education is carried out in Moscow and 26 branches located in cities of Russian Federation and abroad.
There are over 50 000 students and 780 postgraduate students who study at higher education programs; 2 500 teachers work at PRUE, including over 20 000 of students, 580 of postgraduate students and 1 200 teachers at the main campus.
Recruitment of highly qualified teaching staff, development and implementation of innovative educational programs, including double and triple diploma programs with leading foreign universities, and use of modern educational technologies provide training of highly qualified specialists demanded by the professional community in Russia and the world.
PRUE's mission is the promotion of the sustainable socio-economic development of Russia by means of human and intellectual capital formation. The strategic goal of the PRUE for the period is the construction of an efficient multilevel system of continuing education in the field of economics and related fields of knowledge that meets the needs of the state, society and individual; formation of University, educational and research and development activities which have a wide international and national recognition and provide a resource base for its further sustainable development.
Specificity of the PRUE is that it preserves the traditions of national education in the field of economics, updating them on the basis of the real economy requirements and the modern international standards. One of the strengths of the domestic economic school is the use of economic-mathematical as well as economic-statistical (econometric) methods of economic theories and solutions justification.
Main focus areas
- New economy formation, regularity of modern civilization development: theory and practice
- Issues of interethnic and inter-confessional communications in the Russian Federation
- Innovation economy as a basis for national economic security protection: state, region, firm
- Theory and practice of management
- Marketing management in socioeconomic systems
- Modern conceptions and technologies in science and education
- Informational, cognitive technologies and systems in economy and education
- Improvement of the effectiveness of the financial system
- Methodology, methods, mechanisms, tools and technologies of the economic systems functioning on the spheres of industry and entrepreneurship with a glance to globalization tendencies
- Efficacy of machines and equipment: methodological aspect
- Scientific challenges in goods and service quality and assortment control, assortment expertise
- World economy and Russia: integration processes and globalization
- Methodology of sports industry development
- Education in the humanities as a term of business development
The advantage of the PRUE current educational model is a combination of economic and management education based on practice, strong mathematical (statistical) and legal training and use of information technologies. Focus on practice is provided, inter alia due to the presence of natural science departments and deep expertise in the field of trade business, commodity science, economy and enterprise management, and related disciplines. Profound mathematical training is provided by the high proportion of subjects that actively use economic and statistical apparatus as well as information technologies.
Since 2012 the PRUE is included into the global ranking of universities QS World University Rankings (in 2012 - 601+ position, in 2013 - 2015 after the merger with other institutions of higher education - 701 +position). Over the past two years the PRUE improves its position in the regional rankings (QS University Rankings: BRICS from 101-110 position in 2013 to 91 in 2015, QS University Rankings: Emerging Europe & Central Asia from 80 position in 2014 to 69 in 2015), in the international Internet rankings Webometrics, Alexa, 4ICU. Since 2015 the PRUE provides information to participate in THE WUR ranking.
International accreditation of Plekhanov Russian University of Economics
- The Plekhanov Russian University of Economics was accredited by the European Council for Business Education (ECBE).
- International Association of MBA programs – Association of MBAs.
- The Chartered Institute of Marketing of the UK (CIM).
- The Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA).
- European Organization for Quality (EOQ).
Possibilities of the Plekhanov Russian University of Economics
Students of PRUE have the opportunity to obtain a double or triple diploma in joint international educational programs. The project has involved 14 universities from around the world, including France, Germany, the Netherlands, and Austria. The University is of interest primarily for those foreign students who want to know more deeply the economy of Russia. The University makes it possible to study in detail the most important economic processes, to establish the necessary business contacts in Russia.
This school offers programs in: