The Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology was founded in the difficult postwar years when the country had to increase defense capabilities and develop new trends in the industry. Leading Russian scientists and chief designers proposed a model of learning, the “Phystech System”, based on close integration between academia, science and industry. For over 60 years the legendary “Phystech System” has trained thousands of distinguished scientists who have taken dominant positions in the international scientific community and received worldwide recognition.
Today MIPT is synonymous to high-quality education and graduate demand. There are Nobel Prize winners and prominent businessmen among MIPT alumni, as well as key members of the Russian Academy of Sciences, the previous president of which was also an MIPT alumnus. Among the Institute’s staff and graduates are many scientific luminaries, including ten Nobel laureates. So, the 2010 Nobel Prize winners Andre Geym and Konstantin Novoselov are MIPT alumni.
The MIPT brand is well known among our international partners: global technical universities and research centers. MIPT is sometimes referred to as "the Russian MIT."President of Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Prof. L. Rafael Reif heads the International Board of MIPT.
Each research university all over the world is interested in discussing and solving the same high-priority issues. We share the mutual objective of attracting stellar students. Our common mission is to mature their passion into a profession.
For the past years MIPT has improved its positions in the top world university rankings like Times Higher Education (THE) and QS. THE rankings names MIPT among 100 most prestigious schools globally. It is also consistently present in global subject rankings in natural science, physics, astronomy and mathematics, computers science — our major fields of study.
Top 10 facts about MIPT
- 10 Nobel laureates among professors and alumni
- More than 6,800 students from 46 countries
- Academic staff of over 90 Russian Academy of Sciences academicians and corresponding members
- Over 80 featured science labs
- No. 11 in the THE ranking of universities in BRICS countries
- 2nd Russian university in THE overall rankings
- No. 2 in rankings by admission scores in Russia
- 10 MIPT graduates included in the Russian Forbes ranking
- MIPT graduates are the first among the highest-paid in the IT industry, according to Superjob rankings
- 3 international subject rankings list MIPT among top 100 universities: QS and THE for physics and computer science
This school offers programs in: