The University has over 30,000 students including approximately 1000 postgraduate (PhD) and postdoctoral students. At the University of Nizhni Novgorod, academic education is based on research.
UNN is a regional knowledge integrator. UNN is a member of the European University Association (EUA).
The Faculty for International Students of UNN was opened in 2005.
Lobachevsky State University of Nizhni Novgorod (UNN) consists of 5 institutes – Institute of International Relations and World History (IIRWH), Institute of Economics and Entrepreneurship (IEE), Institute of Biology and Biomedicine, Institute for Postgraduate and Doctoral Studies and Institute of Military Training – as well as 14 faculties – those of Chemistry, Radio physics, Physics, Mechanics and Mathematics, Computational Mathematics and Cybernetics, Philology, Law, Social Sciences, Physical Education and Sports, Preparatory Faculty, Faculty for International Students, Faculty for Regional Personnel Training, Minor Academy of Public Administration and Advanced School of General and Applied Physics.
UNN has a close collaboration with the Nizhny Novgorod Scientific Centre of Russian Academy of Sciences (NNSC RAS). State University is a member of the European University Association (EUA).
More than 1,000 UNN students and staff were trained in the best European universities during the implementation of 21 Tempus projects.
The State University of Nizhni Novgorod is carrying out 7 innovative scientific projects supported by the Government of the Russian Federation to establish world-class research laboratories, develop promising scientific fields, involve students in scientific research and encourage them to develop projects from an idea to a business.
The Lobachevsky State University of Nizhni Novgorod has forged successful partnerships with 95 universities and educational centres worldwide since 1991 when the closed city was opened up. International cooperation has resulted in the unique programmes – Russian-French University and Russian-Italian University. The latter programme was twice included in Russia-Italy Joint Action Plan. Students graduate with diplomas from two educational institutions in two countries.
The City if Nizhny Novgorod
The city of Nizhny Novgorod was established at the confluence of two Russian great rivers, the Volga and the Oka, by Prince Yuri Vsevolodovich in 1221 as a stronghold to defend Russian border. Nizhny Novgorod was a capital city of the Nizhny Novgorod-Suzdal principality, one of the strongest in Russia during the period of feudal fragmentation in the Middle Ages. Owing to its favourable geographical position Nizhny Novgorod became a big commercial and cultural hub. Makariev fair was moved to Nizhny Novgorod in 1817. The middle 19th century saw its Volga shipping company succeed. Nizhny Novgorod was connected by rail to Moscow. Throughout the 20th century, Nizhny Novgorod (named Gorky in the Soviet Union) was developing into a big industrial city. It has its own administration and hosts a regional government.
This school offers programs in: