The university’s leadership is assured by an executive team formed by the Rector, three Vice-Rectors, Director of the Council for Doctoral Studies and three Deans. The university also has an Honorary President and a President of the University's Senate.
IMUAU is organized in:
- three faculties: Faculty of Architecture, Faculty of Urbanism and Faculty of Interior Architecture - one IOSUD-UAUIM / Institution Organizing University Doctoral Studies.
The total number of students is around 3000 in a given academic year. Admission to all study forms is based on examination.
The students may benefit from merit-based and social grants from the budget, granted according to the Ministry of National Education and UAUIM Rules. Some sponsors may offer special grants for students.
The education and training offer of the faculties is sustained by the teaching activities performed by the academic staff which belongs to the nine IMUAU Departments covering different disciplinary areas.
The research activity is carried through five research centers situated in Bucharest and in the country: Center for Research, Design, Building Evaluation and Consulting (CCPEC), Center for Architectural and Urban Studies (CSAU), Center for Excellence in Image Study (CESI) – in partnership with University of Bucharest, Center for Excellence in Planning (CEP), Study Centre for Vernacular Architecture (CSAV, at Dealu Frumos-Schoenberg, Sibiu County).
The "Ion Mincu" University of Architecture and Urbanism in Bucharest is the oldest and most important academic institution in this field in Romania. It continues a long tradition of local architectural higher education, the foundation of which is closely linked with the rise of modern Romania and the setting of its new institutional structure and culture, during the second half of the 19th century. In Romania, the first form of architectural education was legally established in 1864, based on an Act issued by Alexandru Ioan Cuza, Prince of Moldavia and Walachia, as a part of the “School of Bridges and Roads, Mines and Architecture”. However, due to the lack of funds, it was closed down shortly after. In 1892 the Committee of the Romanian Society of Architects set up a private school of architecture under its authority. The Education Reform in 1897 transformed the private school into the National School of Architecture (financed by the government) as a part of the School of Fine Arts.
In 1904 it became an independent institution named the Higher School of Architecture. In 1931 the School was renamed the Academy of Architecture. The first law concerning architectural education, issued in 1932, recognized its university-level preserving yet the title of Academy; the same law regulated the use of the title of architect and the professional practice. In 1938 the Academy of Architecture was integrated into the Polytechnic School in Bucharest, under the name of the Faculty of Architecture. Additionally, a special program dedicated to the study of urbanism functioned between 1943 and 1948. In 1948 the Faculty of Architecture became independent under a new name - the „Institute of Architecture”. After a short period of independence, it was incorporated to the recently created Civil Engineering Institute and renamed Faculty of Architecture.
In 1952 the Faculty became independent again, retaking the name of the Institute of Architecture; by a decree issued in 1953, the Institute was named after Ion Mincu. Until 2000 the institution functioned under the title of “Ion Mincu” Institute of Architecture. In 2000, by a decision of the Academic Senate, the name was changed to “Ion Mincu” University of Architecture and Urbanism, which is still the current official denomination. This change was closely linked with the broadening of the educational offer after 1990. Thus, two new Faculties were added to the old Faculty of Architecture in the last decades: the Faculty of Urbanism in 1997 and the Faculty of Interior Design in 2003.
INTERNATIONAL COOPERATION, MOBILITY AND GUESTS:
IMUAU has bilateral or Erasmus relations with more than 80 schools of architecture in Europe, Asia, South America and the United States, that facilitates the mobility of the students and the teaching and auxiliary staff.
IMUAU is a member of: EAAE/AEEA (European Association for Architectural Education), EUA (European University Association), IAU (International Association of Universities), AESOP (The Association of Planning Schools in Europe), ELIA (The European League of Institutes of the Arts), ACESA (Alliance of Central-European Schools of Architecture), ELASA (European Landscape Architecture Student Association), IAESTE (The International Association for the Exchange of Students for Technical Experience).
Programs taught in: