The Polytechnic Institute of Tomar was created in 1973 but because of the Portuguese revolution in 1974, the process of installation did not materialize. In 1979, was established as School of Technology of Tomar (ESTT), not integrated, whose installation commission would only be appointed in October 1982 consisting by the President, Professor Pacheco de Amorim, and vowels, Dr. Julio Dias das Neves and Dr. Maria do Rosário Baaeta Neves. The first courses started in 1986. The politics of higher education in Portugal defined that could only be a Polytechnic by District and thus in 1985, the ESTT was integrated into the Polytechnic of Santarém. Later, in 1994, its name was changed to the School of Technology and Management Tomar (ESTGT). In 1986 came into operation the first undergraduate programmes of IPT: Business & Management (Head Professor José Ribeiro Mendes), Construction (Head Professor António Paiva) and Pulp and Paper Technology (Head Professor Rui Santa Ovaia), with a total of about 90 students. In 1987 came into operation the undergraduate programme of Graphic Arts (Head Dr. António Guilhermino Pires) and, in 1988, the Course of Specialized Studies in Art, Archaeology, and Restoration (Head Professor Luis Osterbeek). In 1996, the then Minister of Education and Science, Eduardo Marçal Grilo, did publish the creation of the Polytechnic Institute of Tomar (IPT), with the School of Management (ESGT) and the School of Technology (ESTT), both in Tomar, now in its new campus, with effect from January 1, 1997. Was named President's Professor Dr. Pacheco de Amorim, and indicated to his aides Professor José Faria Paixão, Professor José Ribeiro Mendes, cumulating with the Directorate of School of Management, and Professor Rui Santa Ovaia cumulating with the Directorate of School of Technology. The statutes of the IPT and of the schools have now been approved and Professor Conceição Fortunato took the direction of ESGT and Professor Luis Merca assumed the direction of ESTT. In 1999, was created in the IPT, the School of Technology of Abrantes (ESTA), directed by Professor Eugenio Pina de Almeida. In 2005, was appointed to head the ESTA, Professor Miguel Pinto dos Santos. In the 2005 elections, was elected President Professor António Pires da Silva. In the 2010 elections was elected the current President Eugenio Pina de Almeida. Directors were appointed to ESTT Professor João Coroado, for ESGT Professor Conceição Fortunato and for the ESTA, Professor Luis Ferreira.
1 - The Institute is a polytechnic institution of higher education in the European area of higher education, provided of skills in the areas of science, technology, arts, and humanities, from the outset, compete complementarily for higher education of their students, producing useful knowledge, skills, competencies and skills, preparing them for the labor market and for the exercise of active citizenship in a democratic society. 2 - The Polytechnic Institute of Tomar still takes as its mission: expanding access to knowledge for the benefit of individuals and society through research, education and cooperation in a project for a global training of the individual; active participation in building an European area of research and education, and a model of regional development based in the creation, innovation and enhancement of scientific and technological knowledge. 3 - As part of fulfilling its mission IPT:
- Do value the work of its researchers, faculty, and staff, stimulates intellectual and professional training of its students and, ensures the conditions for all duly qualified citizens that should have access to higher education and lifelong learning;
- Promote the effective mobility of students and graduates, both national and international level, particularly in the European higher education area and in the Portuguese speaking community;
- Participate in networking activities to society, in particular for dissemination and transfer of knowledge, as well as economic exploitation of scientific knowledge;
- Contribute to the public understanding of the humanities, arts, science, and technology, promoting and organizing actions to support the dissemination of humanistic, artistic, scientific and technological culture, and providing the necessary resources for these purposes.
Facts and Personalities
A reference at the Polytechnic Institute of Tomar is Professor José Bayolo Pacheco de Amorim, being the President of the institution since its beginning in 1982 until 2005. IPT attributed its name to the Main Auditorium. Professor António Pires da Silva was the second President's between 2005 and 2010., Today's Member of the Supervisory Board and Chairman of the Support Office for the presidency. Professor Julio Dias das Neves belonged from 1982 to 1996, to the management of IPT, having been assigned its name to the Auditorium O106. Belonged to the General Council till 2014. The first Professor, Luis Oliveira Dias, took office on February 27, 1984. OFelia Ferreira was the first Chief of Administrative Services
Some facts and figures:
• In 1982 the first officer was in a holding room at Templar Trade Center in Alameda March 1 in Tomar. • In 1984 begin the restoration of the first building of IPT at Avenida Cândido Madureira, taking, that would be acquired in the following year. • In 1986 came into operation the first undergraduate programmes of IPT: Business & Management (Head Professor José Ribeiro Mendes), Construction (Head Professor António Paiva) and Pulp and Paper Technology (Head Professor Rui Santa Ovaia), with a total of about 90 students. • In 1987 came into operation the undergraduate programme of Graphic Arts (Head Dr. António Guilhermino Pires) and, in 1988, the Course of Specialized Studies in Art, Archaeology, and Restoration (Head Professor Luis Osterbeek). • In 1988 was published the first Student Guide. • In 1989 the first graduates left Graduates for the job market. Joaquim Pombo, from Business & Management, José Casimiro Pereira, Vitor Gaspar and Natércia Santos, from Pulp and Paper Technology, and Orlando Lopes da Fonseca, from Construction, are the first graduates, Professors or High Technicians today working at IPT. • In 1989 it launched the first stone Campus IPT in Tomar and the first classes began at this Campus in 1991. • In 2014 the IPT has to offer 21 Bachelor, Masters 21 and 17 Technological Specialisation Courses. There are about 3000 students. • By 2014, IPT has already enrolled about 13,000 students, and graduates have already been over 10,000.
The Polytechnic Institute of Tomar has received several awards and distinctions, either as an institution, either within their schools or their courses.
- The Institute was awarded by the European Commission with the ECTS (European Credit Transfer System) Label, ie the recognition of an excellent use of the European Credit Transfer System. We are one of the institutions of European education with a European best mobility with the respective credit recognition skills acquisition. One credit corresponds to 25-30 hours of work in a given jurisdiction establishing educational knowledge, understanding, and ability that the student should learn successfully. Credits earned in training in IPT are recognized for excellence in Europe and we have agreements with higher education institutions in Belgium, Bulgaria, Slovenia, Czech Republic, Spain, Slovakia, France, Hungary, Italy, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Sweden, and Turkey.
- The Institute was awarded by the European Commission with the DS (Diploma Supplement) Label, ie the recognition of the issuance of an excellent Diploma Supplement, which is producing the extracurricular training student information. The Diploma Supplement International improves transparency and facilitates academic and professional recognition of qualifications. Allows describing the nature, context, level, contents, and status that the student completed the Diploma qualifications that carries.
In 2008 we got the Gold Award of the Erasmus Intensive Course for Quality Management of Cultural Heritage. Erasmus Mundus, in 2004, we were the first group selected by the European Commission. In 1994 the IPT has received the Erasmus Prize, by Professor Luis Osterbeek activity. Several awards in Design and Video Documentary have been assigned to IPT students.
This school offers programs in:
- Portuguese (Portugal)