Unito at a glance
Tradition and innovation
The University of Turin is one of the most ancient and prestigious Italian Universities. Hosting about 70.000 students, 4.000 academic, administrative and technical staff, 1800 post-graduate and post-doctoral students and with 120 buildings in different areas in Turin and in key places in Piedmont, the University of Turin can be considered as “city-within-a-city”, promoting culture and producing research, innovation, training and employment.
The University of Turin is today one of the largest Italian Universities, open to international research and training. It carries out scientific research and organizes courses in all disciplines, except for Engineering and Architecture. It is an integral part of the community, acting for reviving urban and suburban areas, promoting cultural interaction, social integration and development, encouraging dialogue and insight into current realities.
The academic offerings
The University of Turin virtually covers every field of knowledge; its Medical Diagnostic, Biosensoristics and Nanotechnologies research centres are amongst the best ones in Italy.
Some of the degree courses offered are unique in Italy, such as Military Strategy, Biotechnology, Sports Sciences, Restoration and Conservation (in Venaria).
The University of Turin has a remarkable research tradition in traditional subjects such as history, philosophy, law, economics and medicine but it is currently branching out into important modern sectors, such as food science, social politics, IT, performing arts and communication sciences.
Libraries and museums
There are more than 70 university libraries comprising about two millions books: 100.000 are antique volumes. The Botanic Garden and several University Museums such as "Cesare Lombroso" - Criminal Anthropology Museum and "Luigi Rolando" - Human Anatomy Museum are well known.
The University takes a close interest in the network of local museums, on subjects ranging from Egypt to Contemporary Art and it runs its own media, radio, television and film production units.
A strong commitment
The University makes an active stand on a number of social issues, such as environment, drugs, equal opportunities and rights of people with special needs. It also acts as an international level through partnership arrangements with India, China, developing countries in Asia, Latin America, Eastern Europe, the Mediterranean Area and with a number of international organizations operating in the region.
The Piedmont Regional Agency for the Right to University Education (EDISU) - a regional institution offering assistance to students - awards scholarships to university students based on prerequisites of merit and need: the amount of the scholarships depends on the student's financial situation.
UniTO in figures
Students (a.y. 2015-16)
- 67.000 students
- 62% women
- 18% from outside Piedmont Region
- over 3,400 international students (5,2% of total)
- Around 18,500 first-year students
- just over 6% international students
- Around 1,500 students enrolled in professional master's programmes - 1st and 2nd level (a.y. 2014-15)
- 1,256 PhD students (as of 31st December 2015)
Teaching and learning (a.y. 2014-2015)
- 65 3-year bachelor’s programmes
- 752-year master’s programmes
- 9 5-year and 6-year programmes
- 48 professional master’s programmes – 1st level
- 38 professional master’s programmes - 2nd level
- 25 PhD programmes
- 11 professional development courses
- 40 specialisation schools (2014-2015)
- 1 institute of Higher Studies: Scuola Studi Superiori (SSST)
- over 11,700 graduates
- around 8,100 bachelor's degree graduates
- around 3,600 master's degree graduates
- Graduate Employment Rate 2013 - 1 year after graduation: (Source: Almalaurea – ISTAT Workforce)
Total: 62.6% (national average 51.8%)
International networks (a.a. 2015-16)
- 30 bi-national double degree programmes
- over 500 international cooperation agreements with other universities
- 7 programmes fully in English
- 509 incoming Erasmus students
- 910 outgoing Erasmus students
- 1st in Italy* and among the top 200 Universities worldwide, for ARWU Shangai (*with 4 other universities)
- 7th in Italy for Times Higher Education
- 6th in Italy per US News Best Global (207th worldwide)
This school offers programs in: