Overview of GIMPA
The Ghana Institute of Management and Public Administration (GIMPA) was established in 1961 as a joint Ghana Government/United Nations (UN) special fund project. Originally named the Institute of Public Administration, it was set up as one of the key strategic institutions to develop the public administrative system, to provide civil servants with administrative and professional competence, and to plan and administer national, regional and local services.
In 1966, the joint sponsorship ended and the UN formally handed over the Institute to the Government of Ghana. In 1969, the Institute was then re-designated as the Ghana Institute of Management and Public Administration to reflect its expanded functions. For more than 50 years, GIMPA’s activities have been guided by five successive mandates, beginning with the first legislative instrument of 1961 to the current GIMPA Act, 2004 (Act 676).
Each mandate affirmed the status of the Institute as the national management development institute to provide for the study of public administration and management of Ghana. By its latest mandate, GIMPA now offers courses in its areas of competence leading to the award of certificates, diplomas and degrees up to the doctoral level. The areas of competence are defined to include training and education in leadership, management, public administration and technology. Today, GIMPA has transformed itself into the leading management development institute and is an independent public tertiary institution with financial and operational autonomy.
GIMPA’s mission is to maintain a Centre of Excellence for training in public and business administration, by continuously enhancing the capability of middle and top level executives in public and private sectors as well as non-governmental organisations (NGOs) both in Ghana and internationally, to manage their institutions and enterprises efficiently and effectively. The Institute is accredited by the National Accreditation Board.
In addition to the institutional accreditation, GIMPA’s academic programmes are also accredited by the National Accreditation Board. The Institute is made up of four schools, namely:
- Business School
- School of Public Service and Governance
- Faculty of Law
- School of Technology
To be a global Institute of excellence in knowledge development and application.
We build quality human capital through innovative education. We do this by delivering societally relevant teaching and research programmes and consultancy services in leadership, management, public service, ICT and law. We accomplish this by employing a diverse and intellectually-engaged faculty and staff; modern facilities; efficient systems and processes underpinned by ethical leadership.
Purpose of the Institute
The overarching object of the Institute is to train public servants of the country and to provide education, training and services in the fields of leadership, management and public administration for the public sector, private sector and non-governmental organizations.
- To achieve its object, the Institute shall perform the following functions:
- Promote education, training and services in the fields of leadership, business management and administration;
- Provide professional, unbiased and dedicated advisory support services to various areas of Government to enhance their capacity for sustainable development and management;
- Promote the development of managerial skills for persons employed in the public and private sectors including no-governmental organisations (NGOs), and create awareness of the need for education, training and the provision of services in the fields of leadership, management and administration as a necessary requirement for maintaining the vitality of the organisation in the development of the economy;
- Promote the use of information technology as an essential tool to create competitive advantage and enhance output for national development;
- Assist Ghanaian enterprises through cost-effective education, training and the provision of services, research and consultancy to achieve efficient cost control;
- Promote understanding and cooperation between public and private sector institutions in respect of public administration and management obligations; and
- Offer courses leading to the award of certificates, diplomas and degrees in the Institute’s areas of competence, subject to such conditions as the authorities responsible for tertiary education in the country shall direct.
This school offers programs in: