230 years of history for the Graduate School.
1281 students, 18 research centers, 286 talented research professors, 1st school for partnership research, a unique link with companies.
Values built over the years, which we are proud to display, to maintain, to share.
Welcome to MINES ParisTech!
MINES ParisTech was established in 1783 when the exploitation of mines was a high-technology industry. Quite naturally, the School followed the development of industry and MINES ParisTech and nowadays, studies develop and teach all the techniques useful for engineers, including economic and social sciences.
Thanks to its multidisciplinary teaching, the School trains non-specialized engineers, able to resolve a real complex problem, carry out an industrial project, and treat all the aspects so technical as scientific, sociological, economic or ethical.
The background of the School, connected to the industry of mines, concentrating all the scientific knowledge, open all the fields of research today: transport, energy, mechanics, etc.
Ever since 1783, the School has always been able to keep ahead of a changing world by taking part in projects and launching them with future potential.
225 years of history, tradition, and heritage are an integral part of the identity and durability of MINES ParisTech. It offers graduate and post-graduate education programs to 1500 students. The Institution holds 15 research centers, 250 talented professor-researchers, and is ranked # 1 institute for partnership research, a unique link with companies. We are proud to display, to maintain, to share our values built over the years.
A French “Grande Ecole”
MINES ParisTech like other French Grandes Ecoles are devoted to the training of top engineers for industries, services, and research. These Schools are relatively small structures (about 150 MSc graduates per year, 100 Ph.D. graduates, 200 professors-researchers) focused on top engineering topics. Education, research and business are strongly linked in academic programs and research activities.
Most of the programs are designed for graduate students with at least a BSc degree. French “Grandes Ecoles” can be seen as an excellence institute for graduate education and research, among which MINES ParisTech is one of the flagships.
MINES ParisTech has signed more than one hundred agreements on all continents to cooperate within the frame of the Master's degree in Science & Executive Engineering program; these agreements are signed under our own name or through the ParisTech or Institut MINES-TELECOM consortiums. MINES ParisTech is a member of the ATHENS Programme and of IDEA League international networks.
You have choices to make as many career opportunities will be opened to you after graduating from the Institute. A variety of professions will be accessible. During your studies, you will have an opportunity to set out your career plan in close harmony with your ambitions. Whether it be industry, the services or research, you will have access to the wide world.
- Every student is offered a job before the end of the training.
- Several of the CEOs of the 40 leading French companies (CAC 40) are former graduates of the Institute.
- Two Nobel laureates were trained at the Institute: Georges Charpak (Physics, 1992) and Maurice Allais (Economics, 1988).
We carry out a yearly survey to know what our recent graduates are doing. The answer rate for this survey is 100%.
Our latest figures show that:
- 75% are in professional activity.
- 5% are preparing their professional activity, through specific programs (similar to ‘graduate fast-tracks’).
- 18% are pursuing studies, either for a double-degree, a complementary master, a post-master short program or a Ph.D.
On the international scene:
- 11% start to work abroad.
Considering sectors, the possibilities are vast:
- 52% work in the industry (with a predominance in energy and manufacturing).
- 47% work in services (with a predominance in consulting, audit, finance/banking, IT, industrial management, supply-chain, research/development,).
Stephane Boda / MINES ParisTech
10 reasons to discover MINES ParisTech
Of the many reasons for choosing MINES ParisTech, we have selected 10 for your guidance:
1. 225 Years of History
MINES ParisTech, the École des Mines de Paris, is one of the oldest French higher education institutions in engineering. While its inspirational model has not changed, its teaching methods and its research have been anticipating and accompanying its times ever since 1783.
2. Excellence of Research
Two Nobel laureates were trained at the School: Georges Charpak (Physics, 1992) and Maurice Allais (Economics, 1988). Our alumni enjoy challenging careers in a variety of fields.
You possess a curiosity and you wish to move towards tomorrow’s world, you will then see that research at MINES ParisTech is based on creativity, and anticipating a constantly evolving world; with its wide range of disciplines, the School is a leader in many areas. Here are five major fields in which it excels:
- Earth sciences and the environment.
- Energy and process engineering.
- Mechanical engineering and materials.
- Mathematics and systems.
- Economics, management, and society.
- 18 research centers extending over five different fields.
- 286 research professors.
- The leading school in France for its volume of contractual research.
- Major research themes are essentially based on problems raised by industry, including MITAL, EDF, TOTAL, RENAULT, PSA, SNECMA, GDF, and SAINT-GOBAIN, as well as society as a whole.
- A €30 million turnover including contracts with business partners.
The 286 research professors provide the students with high-level teaching. The limited size of the annual intakes gives them an opportunity to make use of innovative pedagogical methods in correlation with the world of industry, society and future aspirations.
The aim is for academic excellence with 286 research professors, 100 theses and 400 articles or books in key research fields published every year.
4. The International Dimension
The international dimension is a real aspect of MINES ParisTech. Life at the School will bring you in contact with students from more than 50 different countries. Intermixing of students from different years. The research centers are open to international exchange. Students are required to have a command of two foreign languages and placements lasting between four and twelve months in a foreign institution for engineering students are a strong feature of the School’s international vocation.
MINES ParisTech has established partnerships with some of the best institutions worldwide:
- Student exchange agreements with 100 partner-universities worldwide;
- 30% of the student intake at MINES ParisTech, in its various programs, come from some 50 different countries;
- the Athens/Cesaer Leuven Network Forum;
- training courses;
- language tuition for all students. Every student is expected to be fluent in two languages;
- 10 foreign language possibilities for the students.
5. High Teaching Standards in Small-Class Contexts
You will pursue your years of study at MINES ParisTech in limited intake classes, regardless of your choice of program. The School will offer you tutorial guidance and virtually individual attention. You will be able to plan your career in close harmony with your aspirations and ambitions. The limited annual intake provides an opportunity to use innovative teaching methods:
- One teacher for every student,
- Teaching in small-class contexts,
- 400 students studying over three years and 260 staff members providing an exceptional standard of supervision.
Stephane Boda / MINES ParisTech
- Research and higher education, a cluster of excellence.
- MINES ParisTech is a founder member of the ParisTech network which brings together 11 engineering institutes and one business school in Paris to promote and combine the development of an international dimension and to offer a range of joint education programs.
- The ParisTech network has all the features of a major university institution.
7. Career Opportunities
You have choices to make as many career opportunities will be open to you after graduating from the School. A variety of professions will be accessible. During your studies, you will have an opportunity to set out your career plan in close harmony with your ambitions. Whether it be industry, the services or research, you will have access to the wide world.
- Every student is offered a job before the end of the training,
- Several of the CEOs of the 40 leading French companies (CAC 40) are former graduates of the School,
- Two Nobel laureates were trained at the School: Georges Charpak (Physics, 1992) and Maurice Allais (Economics, 1988).
- The ParisTech alumni network comprises 220,000 former students.
- The GEM Intermines network comprises 17,000 former students.
- MINES ParisTech benefits from a substantial network of alumni holding key positions. There are 9,000 MINES ParisTech alumni all around the world.
9. Student Life
- Associations and clubs
- Brass band, drama society, etc.
10. Paris (location)
MINES ParisTech provides a unique environment for your benefit. Located in the center of Paris, the Latin Quarter is a hub of cultural activity with cinemas, museums and temporary exhibitions which animate the life of this district near the river Seine, with its many cafés and restaurants, providing so many opportunities for discovering life in France.
The location of the School’s research centers are also typical of various aspects of France: Fontainebleau in its charming setting, Evry, and Palaiseau heralding what the future has in store, and Sophia Antipolis, a cutting-edge technological center in an attractive Provençal setting, of which the School was one of the founders.
Key facts & figures
- An international vocation and an entrepreneurial spirit
- Founding member of ParisTech and of the Groupe des Ecoles des Mines
- 50 partner universities throughout the world
- New areas of study invented at the School include geostatistics and morphological mathematics
- Research linked to industry
- 230th anniversary in 2013
- A total of 1,027 permanent staff including 286 research professors, 391 student researchers, and 890 other students
- 37% of foreign students
- 50 nationalities represented
- Training through Excellence
- Graduates annually according to the programme:
- 155 students from the Master's Degree in Science and Executive Engineering
- 170 students in post-Master degrees
- 27 engineers in the Corps des Mines ParisTech
- 90 PhDs
- 166 trainees in continuing training
- 18 research centers in five major fields:
- Earth sciences and environment
- Energy and process engineering
- Mechanical and materials engineering
- Mathematics and systems
- Economics, management, and society
- €30 million of research contracts per year
- The leading French engineering school for the volume of contractual research
- 200 industrial partners
- 16 teaching and research Chairs
- 100 Ph.D. theses and more than 400 publications per year
- 30 companies set up in recent years
- Mineralogy Museum
- 100,000 items
- The museum ranks first worldwide for its systematic collections
- The museum ranks third worldwide for the wealth of its collections
- A Library with Exceptional Resources
- 200,000 publications, maps and archive documents
- A documentary fund adapted to research and teaching
Stephane Boda / MINES ParisTech
06904 Sophia Antipolis, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur, France