ENSAI, along with ENSAE is a part of the Grouping of National Economics and Statistics Schools (GENES), which brings together the research and teaching activities of INSEE.
ENSAI has been accredited by the French Accreditation Board for Engineering Education, the CTI (Commission des Titres d'Ingénieur), to award a Master’s level engineering degree.
Founded in 1994, ENSAI has been located on the Ker Lann Campus since 1996, in the countryside just outside Rennes.
ENSAI is part of the network of prestigious higher education establishments in France known as Grandes écoles, or specialized graduate schools. ENSAI's education trains its students to become qualified, high-level managers in information processing and analysis. After graduating from the statistical engineering or INSEE civil servant statistician program, our students have threefold expertise in statistics, econometrics and computer science, which is universally recognized in all professional sectors.
Statistical engineering students become statistical engineers after 3 years when they obtain the Diplôme d'ingénieur, a Master's-level engineering degree equivalent to a Master of Science (MSc) in Statistics (representative of a total 5 years and 300 ECTS credits of post-baccalauréat studies). Civil servant student interns become official civil servant statisticians for INSEE after 2 years; they are paid for their education at ENSAI, a monthly net salary of roughly € 1,700 (bonuses included).
Training statistical engineers
ENSAI is the leading French Grande Ecole, or graduate school, to dispense in-depth education in statistics, economics and computer science, enabling its graduates to work in one of the many fields of statistical engineering. After three years of study, our students graduate as ENSAI statistical engineers, with a degree that is accredited by the CTI.
Training INSEE executives for the French National Institute for Statistics and Economic Studies
For a third of our students each year, coming to ENSAI means starting their career in the civil service as a member of the INSEE corps of civil servant statisticians. Training lasts two years, and they follow the same courses as the statistical engineering students during this period. Civil servants can, under certain conditions, obtain a Bac + 5 level through the "Statistics and Econometry, Public Statistics Major" master's degree thanks to integrated training, which can be continous (following the two years of initial training) or deferred (during the first six years of their professional life).
- 414 students in all, 240 statistical engineering students (31 foreign students), 94 INSEE civil servant student statisticians and 80 Masters.
- 32 admitted on the basis of prior qualifications (DUT, a French University Technology Diploma, equivalent to a HND; Bachelor's; Master's; etc).
- 31 foreign statistical engineering students
- 21 permanent lecturers
- 475 professional teachers from the corporate, academic and civil service arenas.
- 39 administrative and technical staff
- 2 in-house research teams (laboratoires)
- 12 students preparing a Master’s and 5 a doctorate
- 7,250 m2 of buildings
- 162 computers for student use
- 165 hectare campus, 98 are developed (60%)
History of the School
Until 1994 the training provided by ENSAI was as a branch of ENSAE (Paris Graduate School of Economics, Statistics and Finance) in Paris.
When the GENES (the Grouping of National Economics and Statistics Schools) was set up, the CGSA branch of ENSAE was renamed the Ecole Nationale de la Statistique et de l'Analyse de l'Information (ENSAI, the National School for Statistics and Information Analysis). It trains engineers for all fields of statistics and information processing.
ENSAI and the two research teams of the Center for Research in Economics and Statistics (CREST) moved to Rennes in 1996.
This school offers programs in:
Students & Campus
The Ker Lann campus was created in 1990 in the Rennes Metropolitan area. The technology campus is home to higher educational institutions, training bodies and businesses. The aim of having a joint business and educational park is to encourage contact and partnerships between academia and business.
Since 1996; Ensai has been located at the heart of this green campus just outside of Rennes, a medieval, royal, festive, creative, gourmet and cultural city.
Schools on the campus
17 schools and training centers on Ker Lann campus
The Ker Lann campus, in Bruz, at the gates of Rennes, offers a large variety of training possibilities:
- work/school training programs, secons cycle (post-L2) training (licence, masters, Engineering diplomas)...
- propsects in very varied fields, private or public service; including but not limited to edication, social work, industry, logistics and transports, statistics, environment, commerce, craftsmanship, hotels and restaurants, economic ans social sciences, accounting, finance, law, teaching, osteopathy, ...