These are the years of the dream of a better political, social and economic reality. The aspirations converge with the progressive and humanistic spirit whose influence is José Celestino Mutis and his team. It is the time of the creation of the Colombian Association of Universities, where the unity of knowledge and collaboration between educational institutions is the beacon that will guide the common objectives of both students and teachers. And since the university is the future of the country, it must be portrayed in every student of any thought and social extraction. The reality of Colombia is the fundamental objective, not only as a present that determines a particular form of teaching, but as an end, that is, as the point of arrival of the education of mind and spirit. In the year 1958 a university reform is erected in order to update and fulfill the aspirations and slogans of the university in Colombia. Bilateral universities commit themselves to the country, just as the State declares the contributions of all kinds that it has to provide to higher education institutions. The universities then take a decisive role in the progress of the country, since they are autonomous and independent and have as responsibility, the future of Colombia. It is a way of returning the country to unity, leaving aside bipartisanship and national disintegration. Then a model of university that leaves the student and is created in him. It is a time of changes and reforms that result in a solid University of America and advancing towards its educational and social goals.
The University of America has as Mission, teach, advance research and do university extension and educational work. The educational, scientific and cultural work of the University of America serves and respects human dignity, the defense of responsible freedom, the worship of the values of the spirit, the dictates of science and culture and the postulates of Christian civilization. To integrally educate students in the values of personal responsibility, professional ethics, civics and social solidarity.
The University of America aspires to be recognized nationally and internationally for its sustained efforts in favor of quality, promoting a balanced education between academic excellence and the integral formation of the person, offering the means to harmoniously develop their intelligence, sociability, ethical sense , aesthetic and physical balance; strengthening the proper use of technologies and communication in the context of their professional development with social responsibility.
It implies the following commitments:
- Strengthen the institutional identity, the respect for its tradition and the formation in the values of the human being with ethical criteria.
- Permanently update curricula; strengthen research and its relationship with the environment.
- Integrate qualified teachers and support their ongoing training.
- Encourage a culture of interinstitutional cooperation through agreements, academic mobility and the requirement of second language management.
- Foster the development of technological resources, promote adequate and permanent maintenance and expansion of infrastructure.
- Contribute to the organization and progress of Colombian education.
- Offer and advance programs of higher education in the modalities of undergraduate, postgraduate and continuing education.
- To perform in other modalities and educational levels that result from the progress of science, culture, educational innovation and that the law authorizes.
- To awaken in the students a reflective spirit, the achievement of personal autonomy within a framework of freedom of thought that takes into account the universality of knowledge and the characteristics of cultural forms existing in the country.
- To integrally educate students in the values of personal responsibility, professional ethics, civics and social solidarity.
- To promote a balanced education that offers all students the means to harmoniously develop their intelligence, their will, their spiritual life, their sociability, their ethical and aesthetic sense and their physical balance.
- Ensure that higher education is developed within ethical criteria that guarantee respect for the values of the human being and society.
This school offers programs in: