They are the years of dreaming of a better political, social and economic reality. The aspirations converge with the progressive and humanistic spirit whose influence is José Celestino Mutis and all his team. It is the time of the creation of the Colombian Association of Universities, where the unity of knowledge and collaboration between educational institutions, is the beacon that will guide the common objectives of both students and teachers. And since the university is the future of the country, it must be portrayed in each of the students of any thought and social extraction. The reality of Colombia is the fundamental objective, not only as a present that determines a particular way of teaching, but as an end, that is, as the point of arrival of the education of the mind and spirit. In 1958 precisely a university reform was set up in order to update and concretize the aspirations and slogans of the university in Colombia. Bilaterally, the universities commit themselves to the country, just as the State declares the contributions of all kinds that it has to offer to higher education institutions. The universities then take a decisive role in the progress of the country, as they are autonomous and independent and have as their responsibility the future of Colombia. It is a way to return the unity to the country, leaving aside the bipartisanship and national disintegration. A university model is then proposed that starts from the student and is created in him. It is a time of changes and reforms that result in a solid University of America and moving towards its educational and social objectives.
The University of America has as Mission, to teach, advance research and do university and educational extension work. The educational, scientific and cultural work of the University of America attends to and will respect the human dignity, the defense of responsible freedom, the cult of the values of the spirit, the dictates of science and culture and the postulates of Christian civilization. Integrally train students in the values of personal responsibility, professional ethics, citizenship and social solidarity.
The University of America aspires to be recognized nationally and internationally for its sustained effort in favor of quality, promoting a balanced education between academic excellence and the integral formation of the person, offering the means to harmoniously develop their intelligence, sociability, ethical sense , aesthetic and its physical balance; strengthening the appropriate use of technologies and communication in the context of their professional development with social responsibility.
It implies the following commitments:
- Strengthen the institutional identity, respect for its tradition and training in the values of the human being with ethical criteria.
- Permanently update the curricula; strengthen research and its relationship with the environment.
- Integrate qualified teachers and support their ongoing training.
- Encourage a culture of inter-institutional cooperation through agreements, academic mobility and demand for the management of a second language.
- Encourage the development of technological resources, strive for adequate and permanent maintenance and expansion of infrastructure.
- Contribute to the organization and progress of Colombian education.
- Offer and advance higher education programs in undergraduate, postgraduate and continuing education modalities.
- Perform in other modalities and educational levels that are the result of the progress of science, culture, educational innovation and that the law authorizes.
- To awaken in the students a reflective spirit, to the achievement of personal autonomy within a framework of freedom of thought that takes into account the universality of knowledge and the characteristics of the cultural forms existing in the country.
- Integrally train students in the values of personal responsibility, professional ethics, citizenship and social solidarity.
- To promote a balanced education that offers all students means to harmoniously develop their intelligence, their will, their spiritual life, their sociability, their ethical and aesthetic sense and their physical balance.
- Take care that higher education develops within ethical criteria that guarantee respect for the values of the human being and of society.
This school offers programs in: