Master of Science (MSc) in Environment and Natural Resources
ZHAW School of Life Sciences And Facility Management
Full time, Part time
CHF 720 / per semester *
Earliest start date
* per semester
The MSc in Environment and Natural Resources will make you into an environmental expert and a sustainability specialist. Choose your specialization from Agrofood Systems, Biodiversity & Ecosystems or Ecological Engineering.
Unique environmental Master's program
Careful land use and a sustainable economy are the key societal challenges of the coming decades. How can we bring about change that leads to sustainable development? What strategies, methods and conditions will make this transition possible? These questions form the starting point for the inter- and transdisciplinary Masters in ENR program.
The goal of the new consecutive MSc is to provide in-depth, disciplinary training. Simultaneously, graduates of this environmental Master's program, which is unique among universities of applied sciences, possess strong skills in combining technical, scientific and social science disciplines.
- a unique course of program which, thanks to the involvement in research units, strengthens your disciplinary skills and provides you with socio-economic and technological knowledge
- individual specialization in your field of Expertise
- a paperless study program with diverse forms and applications of digital teaching
- the possibility of a university degree thanks to the Double Degree with our partner university in Slovenia
«We need unconventional, interdisciplinary solutions to problems that manifest themselves at the interface between society, nature, and technology. This why our Master’s program, which trains environmental experts and sustainability specialists for this purpose, is so necessary.» Martina Weiss, MSc Programme Director
At the beginning of the programme you choose your personal specialization (Master Research Unit, MRU):
- Agrofood Systems: Explore the issues of sustainable food production and the associated challenges of climate change, landscape development, and resource consumption.
- Biodiversity & Ecosystems: Examine and explore interactions and connections in terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems.
- Ecological Engineering: Research and develop sustainable energy, sustainable mobility systems and the role of eco-technologies as key elements of a sustainable society.
For your MRU specialization, you choose a research unit from the Institute of Natural Resource Sciences or one of our partner organizations, where you complete your Master’s Studio (Project Work 1 and 2 as well as Master's thesis). This integration into a research unit, where half of your studies are completed, enables you to pursue an individual specialization and provides you with an in-depth insight into research and development work. In addition, this model also provides you with the opportunity to develop a professional network of partners from industry and research during your studies.
To strengthen your methodological competence, you choose either the scientific or the socio-economic research profile in order to be able to analyze scientific questions from an appropriate perspective.