M.S. in Environmental Management
University of San Francisco - College of Arts & Sciences
San Francisco, USA
USD 24,160 / per year *
Earliest start date
* tuition costs per year are estimates only; costs may vary based on actual enrollment in classes
USF’s Master of Science in Environmental Management (MSEM) trains students for careers in environmental agencies, consulting firms, and nonprofit organizations. Incorporating a comprehensive mix of science and policy courses, our program gives students the background they need to develop solutions to environmental problems.
- Alumni Network – With over 1,000 alumni, students in our program will join a vast network of support.
- Faculty – Our distinguished faculty and advisors comprise both full-time researchers and leading practitioners in the environmental field.
- Accommodating Schedule – With classes held on Saturday and in the evening, our program accommodates the needs of working professionals.
Our program integrates scientific, technical, regulatory, and public policy knowledge across a range of environmental issues. Graduates from the program are able to assess, analyze, and manage issues from both a theoretical and practical point of view.
The program consists of 13 courses (two units each) and a master's project (four units) for a total of 30 units. There are four required courses: ecology, environmental chemistry, quantitative methods, and the master's project. Each student — in consultation with a faculty adviser — develops a program of study for the remaining courses that best suits their desires for professional and intellectual development. Students typically take four courses per semester. Classes are offered on Saturdays and weekday evenings to allow students to work full-time while earning their degree.
Students have the option to select an area of concentration within the degree. Concentrations require the completion of five two-unit courses within that particular area, and include:
- Environmental Health and Hazards
- Water Management
- Energy and Climate Change
Geospatial Technology Certificate
MSEM students have the opportunity to earn a GIS certificate by taking 5 courses. Those courses count both towards the MSEM degree and, at the end of the course series, students earn a GIS certificate.
The Master's Project
The master's project serves as a capstone to the program. The project requires an in-depth study of an environmental issue in the student's area of interest and a professional report suitable for critical review. A thesis option is available.
Each student designs and develops their master's project in consultation with their adviser. Students also meet in small groups to discuss the progress of their project as well as manuscript preparation. An end-of-project oral presentation is required. This is a fun and formal event with multiple presentations occurring simultaneously.
Courses provide the essential skills and foundations of the program and students prepare and complete a master’s project with a practical application to the environmental field.
Program Learning Outcomes
Students graduating from the MSEM program will be able to:
- Demonstrate an interdisciplinary approach in the analysis of environmental issues and management strategies
- Utilize both theory and applied knowledge to evaluate and recommend management strategies for environmental issues
- Choose and apply appropriate tools, techniques, and technologies to analyze environmental issues
- Skillfully communicate environmental management issues through written reports and oral and visual presentations
Scholarships and Funding
MS in Environmental Management Specific Financial Aid
We offer scholarships to new students on a competitive basis. These program scholarships — which are limited in number — vary in amount and cover part of tuition costs. When a scholarship is awarded, it will be indicated in the admission letter sent by the environmental management program. These scholarships do not require a separate application.
Our graduates find work in consulting, government agencies, and the nonprofit sector, as well as in industry.
- Ecologist – Great Ecology
- Air Quality and Climate Change Specialist — ICF International
- Project Consultant – Blue Earth Consultants, LLC
- Regulatory Compliance & Biological Natural Resource Assessment Specialist – ICF International
- Principal Scientist – Integral Consulting, Inc.
- Environmental Scientist – San Francisco Bay Regional Water Quality Control Board
- Environmental Scientist – North Coast Regional Water Quality Control Board
- Hazardous Materials Specialist III – Environmental Health Division of San Mateo County
- Senior Environmental Planner – City and County of San Francisco
- Environmental Specialist – City of Fremont
- Environmental Scientist – Habitat Conservation Branch, California Department of Fish and Wildlife
- Environmental Manager – U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
- Chief of Emergency Response Section – U.S. EPA’s Region 9
- Los Angeles Department of Water and Power
- Water Quality Program Specialist – Alameda Clean Water Program
- Air Pollution Specialist – California Air Resources Board
- Sustainability Coordinator – University of San Francisco
- Health and Safety Programs Office – Stanford University School of Medicine
- Researcher and Lecturer – GreenDependent NGO
- Executive Director – California Environmental Dialogue
- Waccamaw Riverkeeper – Winyah Rivers Foundation
- Sustainability Manager – UCSF’s Campus and Medical Center
- Environment and Conservation Analyst – The Walt Disney Company
- Environmental Manager – Calwest Galvanizing
- Project Manager and Ecological Scientist – BSC Group
- Senior Vice President – WRA, Inc.
- Project Director for Environmental Compliance and Due Diligence – Sanborn, Head & Associates
- Senior Environmental Real Estate Specialist – CVS Caremark Corporation
- Environmental and Water Law – Hanson Bridgett, LLP
- Environmental Risk Consultant – Sutter Health Office of the General Counsel
- Associate Director of Security, Safety, Health, and Environmental Facility Services – Genentech
English Language Requirements
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities (like this one) around the world.