Master in Food Biotechnology
Ural Federal University
Blended, Distance Learning, On-Campus
RUB 255,100 / per year *
Earliest start date
* per year or 238,500/year with discount for 40 or more points at the entrance exam
Master’s Program in Food Biotechnology aims to prepare multi-skilled experts in the field of production quality control, product development, and innovation in food and drink industries. Comprehensive program syllabus covers different aspects of studies of microorganisms, cell cultures of animals and plants, biologically active substances, processes of homeostasis and human nutrition, principals of genetic and metabolic engineering and techniques for determination of effects of genetic-modified products on bio-objects.
Biotechnology is a globally expanding area with respect to both research and production. Food Biotechnology is a branch of food science in which modern biotechnological techniques are applied; on the other hand, it is an essential part of biotechnology aimed at developing new varieties of food involving biological systems in their processing. The integrated program of lectures, tutorials, seminars, laboratory assignments, scientific, practical training, case studies, and research perspectives focuses on enhancing students’ knowledge and understanding.
This Master’s program is offered by the UrFU Institute of Chemical Engineering in cooperation with ITMO University (Saint Petersburg) and combines the advantages of studying at two major Russian Universities. Fundamental theoretical preparation is supported by seminars delivered by industry specialists and international experts and by visits to food biotechnology laboratories and industries. Upon completion of the taught component of the Master’s program in Food Biotechnology, a student will have an opportunity for practice-based learning or project work with the frames of preparing a final research project. It may be undertaken in a research institute or university research laboratory, or food biotechnology company. The project phase of the Master’s program in Food Biotechnology is designed to allow students to apply the knowledge they obtained in practice.
- Full-equipped Microbiological and Biotechnological Laboratory at UrFU
- Biochemical Laboratory at UrFU
- Accredited research laboratory of complex expertise and attestation of organic materials at UrFU
- Mini-bakery and brewery at ITMO
- Laboratory of Rheological Properties of Food Stuff at ITMO
- Research Laboratory of Specialized Food Stuffs at ITMO
- Economical Analysis and Line Management (1st semester, 3 credits, UrFU, Ekaterinburg)
- Philosophical Problems in Science and Technology (1st semester, 3 credits, UrFU, Ekaterinburg)
- Modern Methods in Biotechnology (1st semester, 3 credits, UrFU, Ekaterinburg)
- Research Methods in Biotechnology/ Methodological Fundamentals of Biotechnological Research/Emotional Behaviour Control on Professional Practice (1st semester, 3 credits, UrFU, Ekaterinburg)
- Information Technologies in Science and Education (1st semester, 2 credits, UrFU, Ekaterinburg)
- Foreign Language for Professional Purposes (Russian) (1st semester, 4 credits, UrFU, Ekaterinburg; 2nd semester, 4 credits, ITMO, Saint-Petersburg)
- Design of Biotechnological Industries (1st semester, 4 credits, UrFU, Ekaterinburg)
- Metabolic Engineering in Biotechnology (1st semester, 3 credits, UrFU, Ekaterinburg)
- Physiology of Nutrition (2nd semester, 3 credits, ITMO, Saint-Petersburg)
- Biotechnological Characteristics Modification for Edible Raw Materials/ Biotechnological Modification of Plant Materials (2nd semester, 3 credits, ITMO, Saint-Petersburg)
- Basics of Yeast Biotechnology/ Innovation Technologies of beer (2nd semester, 3 credits, ITMO, Saint-Petersburg)
- Basics of Alcoholic Fermentation / Biotechnological Basics of Wine Manufacturing (2nd semester, 3 credits, ITMO, Saint-Petersburg)
- Technology for Processing Oilseed Raw Materials/ Technology for Processing Oilseed Raw Materials (2nd semester, 3 credits, ITMO, Saint-Petersburg)
- Microbiological Basics of Fermentation Industries/ Principles of Microbiological Technologies (2nd semester, 3 credits, ITMO, Saint-Petersburg)
- International Standards in Biotechnology and Food Safety (3nd semester, 3 credits, UrFU, Ekaterinburg)
- Physicochemical Methods in Quality Control of Biotechnological Products (3nd semester, 4 credits, UrFU, Ekaterinburg)
- Biocatalysis and Biocatalytic Technologies (3rd semester, 3 credits, UrFU, Ekaterinburg)
- Molecular Genetic Methods in Food Biotechnology (3rd semester, 3 credits, UrFU, Ekaterinburg)
- Master's Student Research Work (1st semester, 5 credits, 3rd semester, 11 credits, UrFU, Ekaterinburg; 2nd semester, 4 credits, 4th semester, 18 credits, ITMO, Saint-Petersburg)
- Industrial Attachment (2nd semester, 4 credits, ITMO, Saint-Petersburg)
- Research Practice (3nd semester, 6 credits, UrFU, Ekaterinburg)
- Pre-diploma Practice (4th semester, 6 credits, ITMO, Saint-Petersburg)
Can I pay for this program in installments?
The tuition fees can be paid in several installments (up to 6) with the individual payment plan set up upon the student’s arrival and signing of the education contract.
Where is the Campus located?
Address: Mira St., 28
What other funding options do you have for this program?
It is possible to get a discount for high performance in the Entrance exam (please, notice the price marked *)
What documents are required to apply to this program?
All the applicants should submit the following suite of documents to be checked by the Admission board:
- Scan of the applicant’s passport
- Notarized translation of the applicant’s passport into the Russian language
- Previous education documents (Bachelor diploma or equal) with their legalization/apostilles done in accordance with Russian education standards
- Full academic transcript of grades (for the whole period of study)
Please, consider that the documents in English, French, and German are also accepted for preliminary eligibility check. But at the stage of Admission, all the documents require notarized translations into the Russian Language.
What is the admission process for this program?
To get admission to the Master’s Program, you need to go through 2 obligatory procedures, both of which can be performed in distant forms. The admission is granted if both procedures are successfully completed.
- Document recognition:
All the applicants should submit the suite of required education documents (Bachelor’s Diploma + Transcript of grades for the whole period of study) to be checked by the Admission board (the check takes 2-4 days)
Each applicant should pass one entrance exam in the form of an interview via Skype with the Program Administrator. The interview is scheduled individually, all the details should be negotiated with the admissions manager.