Master of Science in Finance and Banking
UPF Barcelona School of Management
22 Jun 2023*
Earliest start date
18 Sep 2023
* 12th admission round
The Master of Science in Finance and Banking provides you with the necessary skills for solid decision-making in finance, banking, and financial regulation.
The MSc in Finance and Banking provides students with in-depth knowledge as well as practical skills to pursue a successful career across the whole financial sector and in the new and emerging areas of big data, data analytics and digital finance, and banking.
Practically focused and internationally oriented, this MSc program provides the core principles of finance and includes cutting-edge electives in financial analytics that allow students to pursue a successful career in an exciting start-up or fintech, in an established bank, or in the finance department of any firm.
The program benefits from the outstanding world-renowned faculty of UPF's Department of Economics and Business, leading academics from other European universities, and experienced business professionals from top firms and banks.
The Master of Science in Finance and Banking is endorsed by Pompeu Fabra University, the 1st Spanish university and the 16th best university in the world (of those with less than 50 years), according to the Times Higher Education ranking. In addition, UPF Barcelona School of Management has EQUIS accreditation, the most prestigious institutional recognition for business schools globally.
Program jointly offered with:
Why choose this program
01 Outstanding faculty
You will learn from a unique combination of the faculty of the world-renowned UPF's Department of Economics and Business, leading academics from other European universities, and experienced business professionals from top firms and banks.
02 Solid and practical curriculum
The program provides students with in-depth knowledge as well as practical and programming skills to pursue a successful career across the whole financial sector and in the new and emerging areas of big data, data analytics and digital finance, and banking. Graduates will master the core principles of finance, be equipped to use data analytics, apply the appropriate financial analytic models, and understand financial decision-making in an ethical and digital context.
03 Cutting-edge electives in financial analytics
Specialize in some of the most exciting areas of finance by taking some of the financial analytics electives such as Blockchain and cryptocurrencies, Digital banking and fintech and Investment trends, quantitative strategies, and machine learning, which entitle you to the officially recognized master specialization in Financial Analytics.
04 International recognition
UPF Barcelona School of Management is the management school of Pompeu Fabra University, the 1st Spanish university and the 16th in the world among those under 50 years of age, according to the Times Higher Education ranking. The UPF Department of Economics and Business is in the Top 40 worldwide in Shanghai’s Global Ranking of Academic Subjects. The MSc in Finance and Banking is ranked as one of the 4 best masters in finance in Spain by the QS Business Masters Ranking 2023. In addition, the UPF Barcelona School of Management has EQUIS accreditation, the most prestigious institutional recognition for business schools globally.
05 Program with CFA Accreditation and part of the QTEM network
The MSc Finance and Banking is affiliated with the CFA Institute, which recognizes that the degree covers at least 70% of the CFA Program Candidate's Body of Knowledge and offers scholarships for the CFA exam. Our program is also part of the QTEM, an international network bringing together students from more than 20 outstanding institutions and top international corporations worldwide.
06 Focus on a successful career
You will benefit from the expertise and business experience of our professional faculty, as well as of our “connecting with the industry” professionalization course and the continuous support of our careers team, so as to find a job in an exciting start-up or fintech, in an established bank or in the finance department of any firm.
UPF Barcelona School of Management is the management school of Pompeu Fabra University, the 1st Spanish university and the 16th placed university in the world, among those under 50 years of age, according to the Times Higher Education ranking.
UPF Barcelona School of Management has EQUIS accreditation, the most prestigious institutional recognition for business schools globally, and places itself among the top business schools in the world.
In addition, the MSc in Finance and Banking is ranked as one of the 4 best masters in finance in Spain by the QS Business Masters Ranking 2023.
Member of the university affiliation program of the CFA, recognizing that it embeds a significant portion of the CFA Program Candidate Body of Knowledge (CBOK) into its curriculum.
The program is part of the QTEM, an international network bringing together outstanding students from more than 20 top international institutions and many international corporations. UPF Barcelona School of Management is the first and only Spanish institution that is part of the QTEM network.
The MSc in Finance and Banking is an official master's degree and has the academic recognition of the Ministry of Education of the Government of Spain. The Quality Agency of the University System of Catalonia (AQU) has also institutionally accredited UPF-BSM. This accreditation certifies all the official master's degrees that we teach and recognizes the quality of our educational model in accordance with the criteria of the European Higher Education Area (EHEA).
The program is aimed at recent graduates and junior professionals who wish to acquire the most up-to-date knowledge and skills with an analytic, practical, and professional approach to finance.
Every year the program welcomes junior profiles, to study finance and banking in Barcelona: a vibrant, dynamic, and international city. The program has a multicultural environment with students from all around the world. The first step is to work, communicate and negotiate globally.
The MSc in Finance and Banking is organized over three terms.
During the first term, all students will learn the fundamentals of the Finance and Banking core courses. Electives will be distributed throughout the second and third terms.
Students have the option to do curricular internships in start-ups, financial institutions, or corporations. Career development sessions, and a dedicated “Connecting with the Industry” course, will be offered to aid students in finding the placement and prepare them for their professional future.
From October to June, students will work on their MSc thesis, supported by a core faculty member and supervised by a faculty member specializing in the area.
Classes of the MSc in Finance and Banking take place at UPF Ciutadella Campus.
Basics of Finance and Banking
- Corporate Finance and Valuation
- Investments and Portfolio Management
- Introduction to Data Analytics and Big Data
- Data Science for Finance
- Financial Markets and Institutions
- Derivative Markets
Financial Analytics Electives
- Digital Banking and Fintech
- Blockchain and Cryptocurrencies
- Investment Trends, Quantitative Strategies, and Machine Learning
- Benchmarking and Management Control
- Financial Accounting and Analysis
- Banking and Financial Intermediation
- Mergers, Acquisitions, and Reorganisations
- Sustainable Finance
- Current Topics in Macroeconomics and International Finance
- Private Equity and Venture Capital
- Ethics, Professional Standards, and Corporate Responsibility
- Connecting with Industry
MSc Final Thesis
Elective courses will be carried out in case of reaching a minimum number of enrolled students. The final offer for each academic year may be adapted depending on the academic planning.
The Master of Science in Finance and Banking also includes the possibility of participating in practical activities and activities for personal and professional growth such as:
- Brush-up Courses: preparatory crash courses on business and economy-related subjects which take place two weeks prior to the beginning of the program.
- Spanish Course: free of charge during the first term. 3 hours/week course at UPF's language school.
- Career Development Program: career sessions and workshops where students obtain specific training on how to improve their professional profile, approach potential employers and develop professional soft skills.
- QTEM Program: After successfully completing the Master of Science in Finance and Banking students have the opportunity to participate in the QTEM Program, an optional and free-of-charge experience to study abroad at more than 20 top international universities which are leaders in the field of Economics.
- International mobility program: extend your studies extracurricular, during the academic year following the completion of your Master's, at a top-level institution. Limited places.
- Study Trip: an optional trip to a European city in which conferences and visits to companies will be scheduled so as to expand knowledge and acquire a global vision.
- UPF-BSM Inside: is a group of interdisciplinary subjects (applied data, communication, creativity, innovation and project management, sustainability, and leadership among others) that, if you take this program, you can access at no additional cost. They are 100% online and you can take them throughout the academic year at your own pace, as they have been designed as self-study subjects.
The Master of Science in Finance and Banking provides students with the opportunity to undertake a curricular internship. Resources and assistance will be provided by UPF-BSM Careers Service to support students in their search for internships and job positions.
- Data analytics and fintech
- Financial manager in a corporation or a startup
- Financial analyst in a commercial bank, insurance company, government Investment bank, or M&A analyst
- Financial consultant
- Financial advisor in private banking or wealth management
- Portfolio manager, trader, or stockbroker
Scholarships and Funding
The UPF Barcelona School of Management offers you different means of financing so that you can take any of our programs without worry. We offer you the opportunity to finance part of your program, either by rewarding your talent through scholarships, through grants from entities dedicated to promoting education, or through collaboration agreements with financial entities.
Master of Science Scholarships
Specifically awarded to the master of Science students who can demonstrate a good academic, professional, and/or personal trajectory.
External financial aid
A large number of external entities and institutions offer financial aid options to students who want to enroll in one of our master's programs and postgraduate courses.
If you are a member of our alumni associations or of one of our partner universities, we offer you a series of applicable discounts on the amount of tuition for your program.
UPF Employee Discounts
If you are a member or family member or an employee of the UPF group or belonged to the collaborating institutions of the UPF Barcelona School of Management, you can enjoy a series of applicable discounts on the tuition fees for your program.
UPF Partner Universities Discount
Check if the university where you took your undergraduate studies is a UPF partner university and obtain a 10% discount on your master's tuition fees.