Master of Science in Business Analytics
University of Texas Arlington
2 - 3 semesters
Full time, Part time
USD 11,044 *
Earliest start date
* For the 2022-2023 academic year.
The Master of Science in Business Analytics is designed to prepare graduates to identify and implement opportunities for the strategic use of business analytics with an emphasis on business. Students gain knowledge of a broad range of disciplines and functions in the business as well as specialized knowledge of business analytics and its accompanying skill set. An intensive curriculum covering business intelligence, data mining, econometrics, marketing research, statistical techniques prepares students for careers in the field of business analytics.
The MSBA program has been designed in conjunction with an Industry Panel comprising top-performing companies in the region. With a Master of Science in Business Analytics, graduates:
- Will obtain a blend of technical expertise and business knowledge
- Learn to solve practical analytical problems from diverse disciplines, including healthcare, marketing, accounting, finance, economics, and human resources
- Engage with a company and work on a real-world problem through a project-based capstone course
- Stress a holistic view of data, continually reminding students of the need to integrate outside sources of data (e.g., social media, social graphs) and internal data to acquire the business and/or marketing intelligence.
- Will significantly increase their marketability.
Admission to the M.S. in Business Analytics (MSBA) program is based on completion of the general admission requirements of the Graduate School as specified under the Graduate Admissions Requirements and Procedures in the Graduate Catalog.
The Department has one set of conditions that allow applicants to be unconditionally admitted without review by the Graduate Studies Committee. The MSBA Graduate Advisor reviews all applications and determines if they qualify for admission under this set of criteria. Applicants who do not satisfy the following set of conditions for unconditional admission are referred to the Graduate Studies Committee for consideration.
Individuals who meet each of the following two conditions are given unconditional admission:
- Applicant holds an earned bachelor's degree from an AACSB-accredited college or university, with a minimum GPA of 3.25 in the last 60 hours of undergraduate work and
- GMAT total score is at least 580 with a verbal and quantitative score at the 50th percentile or higher, on both. GRE scores will be considered if the verbal and quantitative score is at the 50th percentile or higher, on both.
In addition, international applicants must meet the following condition:
- Successfully complete a face-to-face interview (either in person or online) with the MSBA Graduate Advisor.
Admission with Committee Review
Applicants who require committee review are considered for admission using the following factors, with no single factor used as the primary criterion for making admission decisions.
- Undergraduate and graduate GPA (overall, major, and last 60 hours) and program accreditation status of the applicant's degree-granting institution;
- Score on the GMAT/GRE (including separate scores on the verbal and quantitative portions);
- Applicant's professional work experience and professional certification/licensure; and
- Letters of reference and personal statement provided by the applicant.
By considering the totality of the applicant's circumstances, including the factors listed above, the Graduate Studies Committee will evaluate an applicant's readiness to successfully complete the graduate program. Depending on the judgment of the committee, the decision may be to grant unconditional admission, probationary admission, provisional admission, deferred admission, or to deny admission. The decision of the committee is final. An applicant whose native language is not English must demonstrate a sufficient level of skill with the English language to assure success in graduate studies as defined under Admissions Requirements and Procedures in the Graduate Catalog. International applicants must submit a TOEFL score or IELTS score that meets the standards as listed in the admission requirements.
The MSBA is a non-thesis program consisting of 36 semester hours to include the following required courses in the areas of business acumen and communication, data acquisition and architecture, and statistics and analytics. Electives sufficient to complete the program are selected with approval of the MSBA Graduate Advisor. When there is equivalent work/course experience, the student must meet with the MSBA Graduate Advisor to select alternate coursework.
Tuition and Affordability
Priority Application Dates
Fall | March 15
Spring | August 15
Summer | February 15
Applications are accepted after the published priority date for each term, but for guaranteed consideration of admission please submit the application and associated materials by the priority date. However, it is important to apply well in advance of your intended start date to be eligible for program-specific funding opportunities such as assistantships and fellowships. Keep in mind that departmental application processing times vary greatly and some programs require applications up to one year in advance.
English Language Requirements
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities (like this one) around the world.