MSc Petroleum and Gas Engineering
University of Portsmouth
Southsea, United Kingdom
1 - 3 year
Full time, Part time
GBP 9,400 / per year *
Earliest start date
* for full time: £9400, part time: £3,130 per year for UK/Channel Islands and Isle of Man students/EU residents I Full time: £18,300 Part time: £6,100 per year : international students
Shape your engineering career for the rapidly changing demands of the gas and petroleum industry with a Master's course focused on the sector's future.
You'll develop your skills in oil and gas extraction, as these will remain part of the world's energy mix for years to come. But you'll also look at the opportunities and threats of the transition to green energy and Net Zero carbon targets, examine environmental challenges and climate change mitigation measures such as CO2 capture and storage, and diversify your skillset with subjects such as data science and artificial intelligence.
You'll be studying with industry professionals and expert academic staff, working on key industry themes such as Formation Evaluation and Reservoir Simulation as you follow an MSc Petroleum and Gas Engineering programme specifically designed to meet the demand for petroleum and gas specialists in the industry.
This course accepts the UK, EU and international students.
Please note that if you're applying for this course as an international student, you'll need clearance under the Academic Tech Approval Scheme (ATAS). This is an extra security check made by the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office.
- Future-proof your career by studying hydrocarbon production optimisation alongside greener energy and sustainability issues such as carbon capture and storage
- Use £5 million worth of industry-standard software packages, such as Petrel E&P, and attend talks from visiting software providers like Schlumberger, Kappa or CMG.
- Visit projects and view active equipment on field trips to local hydrocarbon-producing wells such as Wytch Farm, Stockbridge and Storrington.
- Learn how to apply our unique AI-supported methodologies, and add data science and Python programming to your petroleum and gas engineering skillset.
Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE) Portsmouth Chapter
The SPE Chapter is organised, managed and run by the students, for the students, under the guidelines of SPE International. The Chapter regularly hosts events featuring guest lecturers from the industry, as well as showcasing all SPE UK webinars. It also organises field trips and career talks.
English Language Requirements
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities (like this one) around the world.