Master in Data Analytics
University of Porto School of Economics and Management
Full time, Part time
Earliest start date
Decision-making processes within companies and other organizations rely heavily on the knowledge that decision-makers have about the reality where the company acts (markets, customers, producers, etc.). Much of this knowledge can be drawn from data resulting from normal business activity that is continuously accumulated by transactional information systems. Efficient and effective analysis and processing of such data for actionable knowledge may result in better performance of the organization. The data analysis process includes various statistical and data mining (data exploration) techniques, specifically targeted for the extraction of actionable knowledge from large volumes of existing data. All that knowledge extracted from the data provides, ultimately, support in decision making. According to a recent report by the McKinsey Global Institute, this is the age of analytics since companies and other organizations are competing in a data-driven world.
Why Study at FEP
- FEP received the AACSB international accreditation, one of the most important international certifications in business education. FEP is part of the distinguished group of about 6% of schools in this field that, all over the world, have this accreditation
- U.Porto is a worldwide highly-ranked university
- Top students
- Teaching quality and research-oriented faculty
- FEP belongs to the QTEM Master Network, which gathers outstanding students from 23 top economics schools worldwide
- Double degrees (in the Bachelor in Business Administration with FEA-USP, in the Master in Management with FEA-USP (agreement in renegotiation), Kedge Business School and Warsaw School of Economics and in the Master in Finance with Kozminski University and Prague University of Economics and Business)
- Knowledge and professional skills
- Extracurricular activities
- Academic and professional integration support services
- Access to numerous internships and recruitment opportunities
- The notorious and vast alumni network
- Vibrant student life at the University of Porto: sports, culture, leisure
The Master in Data Analytics aims to develop skills in designing processes and using technologies and techniques which convert data into information and knowledge that contribute to business decisions. Thus the Master trains students in data analysis and knowledge extraction from databases.
The Master is part of the QTEM - Quantitative Techniques for Economics and Management network, which means that the Master in Data Analytics, firstly, facilitates access by the best students to study and work abroad within the QTEM network that gathers prestigious academic and corporate partners and, secondly, is a student-friendly option for exchange students from participating foreign partner academic institutions.
The Master in Data Analytics is intended for decision-makers wishing to add value to their strategic capabilities by taking advantage of decision support and data analysis systems, as well as specialists in information processing wishing to participate in the development of computational systems for business intelligence and decision support. Our current and past students are now:
- Project Managers (Sonae, Banif, INE, Farfetch)
- Business Intelligence Managers (NOS, Continente)
- Credit Managers (Credifin)
- Data analysts (Bank of Portugal, Banif)
- Managers and developers of websites (INE)
- Members of teams developing advanced decision support applications (Unicer, Sonae / Enabler, Sonae / Celdata, Siemens)
- Researchers and professors
The Master in Data Analytics is designed for those who wish to promote their professional development, as well as those who need a basic scientific and technical training to update their knowledge about the latest advances in the respective areas. The industries where the knowledge and the techniques can be applied are diverse. They include distribution, banking, manufacturing, insurance, transport, industry, retail, services (including health) among others.
In 2022 the Master’s Degree was considered by Eduniversal as the 9th best Master’s programme in the field of Data Analytics in Western Europe.
The Master’s degree is in the 95th position of QS Business Masters Rankings 2023, which lists the best programmes in the world in the area of Business Analytics.
Program Admission Requirements
Demonstrate your commitment and readiness to succeed in business school by taking the GMAT exam – the most widely used exam for admissions that measures your critical thinking and reasoning skills.
Download the GMAT mini quiz to get a flavour of the questions you’ll find in the exam.