MA Law (SQE1) - Part-time weekend University of Law SQE
Our new MA Law (SQE1) is a law conversion course and includes our SQE1 Preparation Course, which prepares students for the SQE1 assessments. The course is designed for non-law graduates who want to qualify as a solicitor and gain a legal qualification at the Master’s level. As an internationally recognised qualification, a Law Master’s is a great addition to your portfolio. With a strong level of support from the start, this course is a great introduction to law if you hold an undergraduate degree in another discipline. Successful completion of the MA Law (SQE1) also qualifies you to progress on to study the LLM Legal Practice (SQE1&2) to become a solicitor. You'll also receive four weeks of Qualifying Work Experience (QWE) within our Legal Advice Centres.
For MA Law (SQE1) September 2023 international students:
Offers for September start MA Law (SQE1) to international students cannot be made. This is because there is a 2 months gap between the conversion component end and SQE1 start, which would require students to travel home to apply for a new visa and then return to the UK on their new visa.
UK Entry Requirements
- Students are required to possess a 2:2 or above from an undergraduate degree in any discipline or equivalent qualifications.
English language requirements for applicants whose first language is not English
- An English Language level equivalent to IELTS 6.5 with a minimum of 6.0 in each component.
Required pre-course study
The Law & Constitution module requires 40-50 hours of pre-course study in Legal Method, through guided module units with all materials provided online.
The modules you’ll study during the course are:
- English Legal System and Constitutional Law (including Retained EU Law) (15 credits)
- Tort Law (15 credits)
- Contract Law (15 credits)
- Criminal Law (15 credits)
- Administrative Law and Human Rights (15 credits)
- Land Law (15 credits)
- Trusts (15 credits)
- Law of Organisations (15 credits)
- Skills and Behaviours (non-credit-bearing)
- SQE1 (60 credits):
- Functioning Legal Knowledge (FLK) 1 (Business, Legal Services, Dispute Resolution)
- Functioning Legal Knowledge (FLK) 2 (Property Law and Practice, Wills, Solicitors’ Accounts, Criminal Practice)
This course develops the key intellectual and personal skills required by lawyers, alongside skills required to pass professional examinations for qualification as a solicitor.
All modules focus on combining knowledge and understanding of core areas of law with the ability to analyse, evaluate and form critical judgements about the law. The study is centred on practical activities that enable students to learn by doing. Workshops involve students completing further practice-based tasks, including an application of FLK to Single Best Answer Questions (SBAQs).
Alongside academic modules, students will engage in a Skills and Behaviours module, allowing you to recognise and develop key professional and personal attributes necessary to thrive as a lawyer in a work environment, and to manage your career.
The SQE1 Preparation Course will also prepare you for the SQE1 assessments, which will test your FLK.
Our MA Law (SQE1) is a conversion course designed for non-law graduates who want to gain a legal qualification at the Master’s level and sit the SQE1 assessments. Although there is no longer a formal requirement for qualification as a solicitor, this course will give learners the academic legal knowledge they need (as part of Functioning Legal Knowledge (FLK) for SQE1) and will encourage learners to think like a lawyer from the start.
This course also develops the key professional skills and behaviours required by lawyers, alongside skills required to pass professional examinations for qualification as a solicitor. In all modules, there is a focus on combining knowledge and understanding of core areas of law with the ability to analyse, evaluate and form critical judgements about the law. The study is centred on practical activities that enable students to learn by doing to help them thrive as a lawyer in a work environment.
Many employers value the combination of a non-law undergraduate area of expertise combined with the solid grounding in core legal principles and legal skills, provided by a law conversion course.
Why choose this course?
- Learn to think like a lawyer and develop practical legal skills through practical workshops and problem-based learning.
- Be ready to progress your legal training – this course includes the SQE1 Preparation Course which will prepare you for the SQE1 assessments or you can progress onto our LLM Legal Practice (SQE1&2).
- Explore an area of law that interests you in our Law of Organisations module.
- With one of the largest legal careers services in the UK, ULaw gives you the support and the Qualifying Work Experience (QWE) opportunities you need to make the best start in your legal career.
- Experience of working in practice. You’ll learn in the context of our virtual law firm, ULaw LLP. ULaw LLP replicates the working environment of a law firm and students perform real-world tasks on simulated cases, deals and transactions as if they were in the office.
- Brand new resources, developed specifically for SQE by our expert tutors. You’ll be provided with all course materials, including:
- An extensive bank of practice exam questions.
- ULaw SQE – our intelligent revision app provides practice tests and feedback.
- Brand new online study manuals.
- In-depth guidance and support from our experienced tutors, who will monitor your progress and give feedback using predictive analytics, so you’ll know where to focus.
- Taught by qualified lawyers, with lectures and practical workshops to develop your legal skills, so you’ll know what to expect in a real-life work environment.
- Enjoy flexible study – choose to study full-time or part-time at one of our locations nationwide, or online.
- We also work with over 90 of the top 100 law firms.
Our years of experience in training more practising lawyers in the UK than any other law school has helped our students go on to succeed in law, business, politics and more. We believe in training students for the real world from the moment they accept a place with us.
When you book this course, you’ll get our SQE1 Exam Preparation Course for free. This short, intensive revision course will ensure you’re confident and fully prepared for the SQE1 assessments.
All modules will incorporate 40% examination by Single Best Answer Questions (SBAQs) to support any future progress onto the SQE1 assessment.
The other 60% will vary according to the module. These will include:
- Online open book examination
- Oral presentation
SQE1 will be assessed by centralised assessments introduced by the SRA, which will be an essential requirement to qualify as a solicitor in England and Wales. Students will sit multiple practice tests throughout the programme to help prepare for these assessments.
You will sit your SQE assessments at Pearson VUE test centres in the UK and internationally.
- Each taught module comprises workshops and incorporates streamed lectures or media.
- Class contact time is combined with online tutorials, online Single Best Answer Questions (SBAQs) and self-study from study manuals and online research.
- The learning model is based on undertaking activities in the workshops (or equivalent online activities) to develop both knowledge and key skills
- The Skills and Behaviours module will comprise workshops spread over all semesters.
- The SQE1 Preparation Course will be delivered as a blended learning programme, including face to face workshop delivery, and also online.
How to Apply
- Applications for this course are now open.
- If you’d like to study full-time you can apply through CAB. For part-time study, you can apply directly with us.