MSc Music and Sound for Film and Games University of Hertfordshire
"Due to the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic, examinations may be replaced by an alternative form of assessment during the academic year 2021/2022. Please refer to the Programme Specification on these pages for further details."
Why choose Herts?
- Employment Prospects: Graduates work as producers, audio engineers, and composers for organisations such as Channel 4, Splash Damage, and Creative Assembly.
- Strong Industry Connections: You will benefit from extensive networking opportunities with our industry partners, including BAFTA, Sony, and Splash Damage Videogame Company.
- Teaching Excellence: Delivered by Bruce Aisher, a music producer, songwriter, composer, remixer, sound designer and technology journalist with featured work in over 100 commercially released tracks (including a US Billboard Club Chart No.1) and on TV programmes such as ‘CSI’ and 'Top Gear', and products by Apple, Clavia, and Native Instruments.
About the course
- BAFTA approved. BAFTA endorsement is a significant recognition of the industry focus of the course and means that you can be sure you will be studying on a course that has been recognised as fully industry-relevant by THE leading organisation in the sector. As stated on the BAFTA website, "The eligible courses have been identified by industry professionals as producing students ready to work in film, games or television".
- Develop a showreel demonstrating your creative talent in composing music and designing sound for a wide range of media (video, film, video games), opening up a 360º horizon of possibilities and opportunities for work.
- Collaborate with MA Film students in our School of Creative Arts.
- Learn in the university’s top-class facilities, assisted by tutors who are themselves industry professionals
Why choose this course?
This course is conceived to meet the current industry’s demand for creative professionals who are equally versed in music composition as well as sound design and can work effectively across a range of media – whether it’s video, narrative film or interactive games.
All aspects of the soundtrack are systematically explored in both linear and non-linear environments, leading to a fuller understanding of the discipline, of the industry, and of the production processes.
In this course, you will harness the whole gamut of sonic resources for your creative practice – from acoustic instruments to electroacoustic sound, utilising all the latest studio techniques and technologies.
You’ll study in the University’s top-class studios, supported by tutors who have experienced industry professionals, with the potential to collaborate with students from our M.A. Film course.
With targeted sessions and expert guidance, you’ll develop a showreel demonstrating your creative talent in providing sound and music for a wide range of media (video, film, video games), opening up a 360º horizon of possibilities and opportunities for work.
Industry guest speakers, composers, sound artists, sound designers, are invited to talk and advise on all aspects of the soundtrack and the professional engagement with the production process.
Recent guests have included sound design guru and film editor Walter Murch, choreographer Jane Turner, film composer Matt Backer, audio designer Josh Smith, and many more.
Lecture, seminars and tutorials are typically scheduled over two consecutive days a week, plus some extra sessions for particular workshops, performance, recording, as necessary. In addition to scheduled sessions, students are expected to engage in continuous self-directed study and studio practice.
At the University of Hertfordshire, we want to make sure your time studying with us is as stress-free and rewarding as possible. We offer a range of support services including; student wellbeing, academic support, accommodation, and childcare to ensure that you make the most of your time at Herts and can focus on studying and having fun.
- Sandwich placement or study abroad year: n/a
- Applications open to international and EU students: Yes
English Language Requirements
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities (like this one) around the world.