MA Graphic Design
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield, United Kingdom
1 - 2 year
Full time, Part time
GBP 13,950 *
Earliest start date
* international students full time, part time £1160 per 15 credits / UK students full time £9450, part time £790 per 15 credits / EU students full time £13950, part time £1160 per 15 credits
"Due to the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic, examinations may be replaced by an alternative form of assessment during the academic year 2021/2022. Please refer to the Programme Specification on these pages for further details."
Why choose Herts?
- Employment Prospects: Graduates work in art, digital, and design jobs with organizations including Fiora and creative agency Emperor. Many are also practicing as freelancers supplying independent design services to clients.
- Teaching Excellence: During this project-based course you will practice contemporary graphic design and be taught by tutors with extensive high-level commercial experience.
- Industry-Focused Course Content: You will explore the social, global, and cultural value of how our work creates meaning and impact in products and other entities in every environment.
About the course
- MA Graphic Design degree will develop your professional skills as a graphic designer.
- You will work with design professionals of international standing.
- This Master's degree gives you the opportunity to work in professional and industrial contexts.
Why choose this course?
MA Graphic Design sits within the PG Design programme at the School of Creative Arts. There is a strong emphasis on professional practice and the real-world applications of art and design, where you will develop key research skills and gain a good understanding of the work of other practitioners in your field.
The aim of the postgraduate programme is to equip you with the skills, knowledge, and understanding required to practice at an advanced level, foster your creativity, and enhance your employment opportunities. You will work alongside artists and designers who are involved with a wide variety of media and forms. Induction, seminars, and social events for students and staff mean that you will be part of a friendly and supportive postgraduate community, which also includes filmmakers, musicians, and professionals working in new media. Senior research staff and internationally renowned artists work with postgraduate students, helping you to develop original and challenging work.
Visual communication and graphic image are increasingly important in the global information economy. On this master's degree, you will be encouraged to adopt a creative, enquiring, and critical approach to the graphic image and its uses in contemporary practice.
From traditional craft processes to digital image-making, exploring the graphic image and its uses, in both web-based and print formats. We focus on professional practice and enterprise, helping you acquire the skills required to practice in the creative and cultural industries, and equipping you with the skills necessary to work as a freelance practitioner. Key aspects of the course also include social, political, environmental, and commercial contexts of graphic design and the processes by which graphic signs operate to convey meanings in various environments.
Our staff is experienced in research and professional practice, and you will also benefit from contributions from visiting designers and design professionals, as well as from involvement with our international exhibitions programme and our close links with industry partners.
At the University of Hertfordshire, we want to make sure your time studying with us is as stress-free and rewarding as possible. We offer a range of support services including; student wellbeing, academic support, accommodation, and childcare to ensure that you make the most of your time at Herts and can focus on studying and having fun.
- Sandwich placement or study abroad year: n/a
- Applications open to international and EU students: Yes
English Language Requirements
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities (like this one) around the world.