Double Degree Master in Economic Development and Growth (MEDEG)
University of Groningen
EUR 2,314 / per year **
01 May 2024*
Earliest start date
* EU/EEA and non-EU/EEA students
** EU/EEA students: €2,314 | non-EU/EEA students: €17,800
This international double degree trains you to be a well-rounded expert in the field of development. You get Master's degrees from two top-class European research universities: Groningen and Lund.
The MEDEG programme is offered by a consortium of the University of Groningen (The Netherlands), Universidad Carlos III de Madrid (Spain) and Lund University (Sweden). You study the first year either in Groningen or Madrid. In the second year, all students move to Sweden to specialise in development and growth issues at Lund University School of Economics and Management. The programme provides you with the theoretical and quantitative tools needed to grasp the main debates in economics and other social sciences, as well as the specialised understanding of context, institutions, and historical legacies in developing economies required to deal with the full complexity of development issues.
The Groningen–Lund programme provides rigorous training in economics and quantitative methods and offers a variety of electives in central topics in development. At the end of each year, you complete an independent research project, closely supervised by the faculty. On successful completion, you will obtain an MSc in Economic Development and Globalization from the University of Groningen and a Master's Degree in Social Science with a major in Economic Development and Growth from Lund University.
Why study this programme in Groningen?
- This two-year double-degree master's combines the analysis of economic development from a long-run, historical perspective with a range of courses in economics and demography.
- Two degrees from two top-class European research Universities, Groningen and Lund, combining training in strategic analysis and decision-making in national and international corporations and public organisations, a thorough understanding of recent aspects of globalisation, and specialisation in economic development and growth issues.
- The programme has been internationally accredited by the AACSB and EQUIS, ensuring a high-quality education, which only 1% of universities reach worldwide.
In the first year of the MEDEG programme, you will study the one-year, 60 EC Master's degree programme in Economic Development and Globalization (formerly known as MSc International Economics and Business) at the University of Groningen. You will focus on the theme "Globalization, Growth and Development", studying development and international economics, statistics and long-run development. You will take 35 EC of compulsory courses and 5 EC electives, and will complete a 20 EC Master's thesis.
- Country Studies (5 EC)
- Economic Development (5 EC)
- Economic Geography (5 EC)
- Economic Growth in History (5 EC, optional)
- Foreign Direct Investment and Trade (5 EC)
- Global Finance and Growth (5 EC, optional)
- Globalization Debates (5 EC)
- Inclusive Finance (5 EC, optional)
- Master's Thesis (20 EC)
- Research Seminar (5 EC)
- Trade, Environment and Growth (5 EC)
During the second year at Lund University, you can further specialize in economic development and growth in relation to issues such as demographic change, institutions, sustainability and energy, innovation and human capital. You take 15 EC of compulsory courses and 30 EC of electives and can choose elective courses offered in the MA programme International Economics. You will also do a 15 EC Master's thesis.
- Study at Lund University (60 EC)
- Study abroad is required
- Maximum of 60 EC
In the second year of the two-year MEDEG programme, you will study at Lund University, Sweden.
Program Tuition Fee
This programme provides you with plenty of career opportunities in institutions all over the world addressing economic development, such as the EU, OECD, ILO, World Bank, UNESCO, WTO, CEPAL, IADB (Inter-American Development Bank), NGOs, governments and central banks, think tanks, multinational companies and consulting firms.
You will also obtain the advanced skills required to carry out research in the fields of development economics, economic history, applied economics and international economics. You may choose to pursue an academic career and continue in a PhD programme.
As a graduate, your degree will be highly valued in the labour market. The Faculty of Economics and Business is internationally accredited and belongs to the 1% of business schools around the world accredited by both EQUIS and AACSB.
FEB Career Services
When you become a student at the faculty, we want to support you in developing your career and strengthen your employability skills. You can count on a dedicated on-campus Career Services team offering you a wide range of courses, workshops, events and career-related support during your studies. Everything you need to enter the labour market.