Erasmus+ Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degree COSI / Computational Colour and Spectral Imaging
University of Eastern Finland
EUR 4,500 / per year **
Request info *
Earliest start date
* The next application period will be in January 2025.
** Please note that details regarding tuition fees, tuition waivers, and scholarships for the 2025 intake will be finalized and communicated at the earliest convenience.
Erasmus+ Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degree COSI / Computational Colour and Spectral Imaging is a two-year (120 ECTS) Erasmus+ Joint Master Degree, aiming to train the next generation of highly-skilled industrial experts in applied color science, in various cutting-edge industries (photonics, optics, spectral imaging, multimedia technologies, computer graphics, and vision) in a diverse range of sectors (including multimedia, health care, cosmetic, automotive, food-processing) bridging a talent gap in the industry where color experts are in high demand. The 2 areas of focus are spectral technologies and applied color imaging.
COSI is brought to you by world-leading university-business cooperation of 4 European universities (Norwegian University of Science and Technology, University Jean Monnet, University of Granada, and the University of Eastern Finland ), 13 academic partners, and 9 industrial leaders across the globe.
Scholarships and Funding
Please note that details regarding tuition fees, tuition waivers, and scholarships for the 2025 intake will be finalized and communicated at the earliest convenience.
Why should I join?
Wondering what makes us unique?
“The European higher education excellence meeting worldwide color markets”.
# An education you won’t find anywhere else
COSI and CIMET curriculum is unique at the European and international level. You may find color science specialization courses in other higher education institutions, but we are confident to say that we will become a landmark program for the industry in the coming years.
# European academic excellence and international recognition
We bring to you the best that European higher education has to offer. COSI is an Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degree (EMJMD), which means that the program has been reviewed, selected, and granted technical and financial support from Erasmus +, the new European Union 16 billion euros catch-all framework program for Education and Training. CIMET has been launched under the previous generation of the European Union program for higher education, Erasmus Mundus.
Being an EMJMD is a true label of excellence, considering that COSI is one of the only 9 Joint Master Degrees that have been awarded this label out of 61 projects submitted by European higher education institutions during the first Erasmus+ call for proposal.
Skills and qualifications you’ll acquire during the program will be widely recognized and understood by other education institutions and the labor market thanks to the award of 3 national master degrees and additional EU transparency and recognition tools such as the European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS) and diploma supplement.
# Be part of a responsible venture that maximize social impacts
We take good care of what matters most: the people and the environment. This triple bottom line takes its whole meaning when we:
- Foster gender equality at the student and faculty level;
- Minimize our environmental impact;
- Ensure non-discriminatory selection and support for people with disabilities to ensure they can fully engage with COSI program and participate in COSI community life;
- Monitor & Evaluate social impacts within the framework of our Quality Assurance process and constantly take corrective actions.
At COSI students have the chance to experience studying in at least two and at most four different European universities with an international faculty of local and international guest lecturers.
This starts by the first semester of studies being held in Norway, the second semester in France or Spain (depending on your preferred specialty) and the third semester in Norway or Finland (again depending on your preferred specialty). The fourth semester which is fully dedicated to the Master Thesis could then be performed at any university or industry across the globe! Add the six weeks industrial internships the students take between the second and third semester and you see how we at COSI have tried to get the most out of your two-year master studies.
At the end of the COSI Programme, the student should be able to:
- describe and apply fundamental aspects of computational colour science and data science, optics and photonics, measurement systems and spectral technologies, digital imaging and computer vision, mathematics and computation;
- implement and apply current colour and spectral technologies, and other High-Tech devices used in digital imaging, demonstrating the ability to design and implement colour data processing algorithms;
- calculate a range of colour quantities and image quality quantities, apply transforms, derive and implement colour and image metrics;
- analyse colour technology and machine vision problems into components, construct solutions and design processing workflows;
- model colour and digital image processes and predict a range of quantities including visual and psychometric response, colour appearance, perception of quality, spectral and colorimetric reproduction, 2D and 3D spatial models, display functions;
- evaluate own and previous work from both theoretical, practical and application perspective
Tackling the talent gaps of our industrial partners is the main focus of the COSI Master initiative. It should come as no surprise that your employability will be our very first priority.
Our ambition is that a relevant proportion of COSI students get their job while studying, through COSI networking, recruitment events, and compulsory work placements. We’ve set an ambitious yet achievable target of 100% employment rate within 6 months of graduation.
Wider recognition of the COSI brand name towards industries, structural involvement of our industrial partners from COSI design to teaching activities and strategic development, the inclusion of innovative competences and soft skills in the curriculum: those are just a few steps we’ve taken to ensure you’ll get a rewarding and meaningful job.