MSc in Biomedical and Molecular Sciences with Business University of Dundee
Biomedical and molecular sciences are fast-moving fields that explore the complexities of biological systems, often to benefit human health through the discovery of treatments or cures for diseases. We have particular research strengths in these areas at Dundee.
This course focuses on key areas in the biotech and pharmaceutical sectors and will prepare you for a future in these industries. You'll gain knowledge and skills that employers are looking for – including an in-depth understanding of molecular and cellular mechanisms of a range of diseases, and how this can help develop better ways of diagnosing and treating disease.
You'll have access to drug discovery and phenotypic screening technologies that are of industry standard and rarely found in an academic setting. Alongside the core science component of the course, you'll also take business modules that will help develop your skills in this area.
Following the taught component of this course, you'll undertake a bio-business research project where you will focus your business ideas on a bioscience research development, applying what you've learned to a real-life project. You'll work alongside University researchers and staff at our Centre of Entrepreneurship - a facility dedicated to improving entrepreneurship opportunities for students and staff.
Teaching & Assessment
You'll be taught through a mix of:
- talks by invited speakers
- journal clubs
- demonstrations and practical classes
- research project with one-to-one training
You'll be assessed through a mixture of coursework and exam-based assessments, including:
- analysis of research papers, linked to patient case studies
- oral presentations
- short answer and essay questions
- scientific writing exercises
- poster presentations
- mock job application
- data analysis exercises
- focused research report
These modules are an essential part of your course.
- Scientific Method and Skills (BS51009)
- MSc Project Proposal and Associated Skills (BS52008)
- Therapeutics (BS52009)
- MSc Biobusiness Research Project (BS53003)
- International Business Strategy (BU51016)
You need to choose one or more of these modules as part of your course.
- Cell Biology and Disease (BS51007)
- Molecular Basis of Diseases: Genetics, Epigenetics and Genomics (BS51008)
- Corporate Finance (BU51002)
- Leadership and Decision Making (BU52033)
- Venture Capital and Private Equity (BU52047)
Employers in the biotechnology and biopharmaceutical industries expect their postgraduate recruits to have strong, broad-ranging skills. They're looking for people who have advanced technical and communication skills, are confident team workers, independent researchers, good project managers and are at the leading edge of their specialism. Our courses will help you develop and refine these skill sets alongside your knowledge of the field.
This can help set you on the path to a career in clinical trial coordination, regulatory affairs, lab management, scientific publishing, or bioscience entrepreneurship. You'll develop the attributes needed to work in small and large multinational companies in the biosciences sphere.
Recent graduates have gone on to work in various roles such as sales representatives, medical writers, intellectual property and commercialisation officers/interns, and marketing leads in a range of companies including:
- Thermo Fisher Scientific (provider of instruments, equipment, software, services and consumables for Life Sciences scientists)
- Delta Kn (a specialist learning agency dedicated to optimising the capabilities and performance of healthcare audiences globally)
- University of Dundee
- Nuchido Time+ (a food supplement company)
Some graduates have also gone on to further academic study including Graduate Entry Medicine courses in Northern Ireland.