MSc Mathematics, Operational Research, Statistics and Econometrics (MORSE)
University of Birmingham - College of Engineering and Physical Sciences
GBP 9,810 / per year *
Earliest start date
* per year for UK students; £20,430 per year for international students
Developments in mathematical optimisation and statistics have revolutionised system engineering and have created an urgent need, for a new generation of mathematicians trained to work at the frontiers of mathematical optimization, statistics and their applications to engineering, healthcare, finance and economics.
In recent years, new developments in mathematical optimisation and statistics have revolutionised system engineering, information science, signal and image processing, statistical error correction and cryptography.
This has created an urgent need, in both academic researches and in practical implementation, for a new generation of mathematicians trained to work at the frontiers of mathematical optimization, statistics and their applications to engineering, healthcare, finance and economics.
This programme is both technical and pragmatic. You will acquire the ability to integrate state-of-the-art knowledge of statistics and optimisation to address, analyse and provide a rational appraisal of a given problem in different professional contexts.
This is a multidisciplinary field that involves the study of mathematical optimisation techniques, operational research methods, programming and statistics with their applications to economics, finance, medicine, industrial management, natural sciences and others.
Researchers at the University of Birmingham have recently shown how modern optimisation and statistical methods are successfully applied to engineering design, financial and economical data analysis, meta-analysis, economic equilibrium, network communication, and combinatorial optimization.
Why study Mathematics, Operational Research, Statistics and Econometrics (MORSE) Masters at Birmingham?
- Develop your mathematics, business, economics, science or engineering background within a broad range of professional areas in quantitative analysis
- Acquire the ability to integrate the knowledge of statistics and optimisation to address, critically analyse and provide a rational appraisal of a problem
- Learn to use software packages to perform statistical analysis and empirical studies
- Focus on finding optimal solutions to optimisation problems in broader and challenging environments
- Study at the School of Mathematics which is internationally recognised for the quality of our research in various fields
The course consists of 180 credits, two-thirds from taught modules (core modules are compulsory, plus choose four optional modules) and one-third from your research project.
- Statistical Methods in Finance and Economics - 20 credits
Select one of the following:
- Postgraduate Taught Knowledge Exchange Pathway - 60 credits
- Project (MORSE) - 60 credits
Choose 100 credits. Examples of optional modules are listed below:
- Advanced Management Mathematics - 20 credits
- Advanced Mathematical Finance- 20 credits
- Applied Statistics - 20 credits
- Game Theory and Multicriteria Decision Making - 20 credits
- Integer Programming and Combinatorial Optimisation - 20 credits
- Mathematical Finance - 20 credits
- Medical Statistics - 20 credits
- Nonlinear Programming I and Heuristic Optimisation- 20 credits
- Numerical Methods & Programming - 10 credits
Please note: The modules listed on the website for this programme are regularly reviewed to ensure they are up-to-date and informed by the latest research and teaching methods.
Scholarships and Funding
Postgraduate Loans (PGL) for Masters students
UK and EU students (with settled or pre-settled status) looking to pursue a Master's programme in the UK can apply for a non-means-tested loan from the British government via the Student Loans Company (SLC).
The loan will be paid directly to you, into a UK bank account. It is intended to provide a contribution towards the costs of Masters study and whether the loan is used towards fees, maintenance or other costs is at your own discretion.
We offer a range of postgraduate scholarships for taught programmes and research opportunities to ensure the very best talent is nurtured and supported at the postgraduate level.
Program Tuition Fee
The programme produces highly qualified students in statistics, operations research and econometrics with applications to economics and business management. It also provides ideal preparation for a career in economics, health care, finance, banking, insurance, actuarial science, business management, governmental or academic institutions.
Postgraduate study at the University of Birmingham is a chance to learn from world leaders in their fields. This guarantees you a first-class learning experience, leading to a qualification that is respected the world over and making you an attractive prospect in a very competitive job market.
The course modules and research projects will provide you with essential training in quantitative analysis together with multidisciplinary research and communication, a transferable skill that you will find valuable whatever career path you
pursue. Our graduates benefit from a growing global demand for these skills in sectors including economics, medicine, finance, insurance and industrial management.
University Careers Network
Preparation for your career should be one of the first things you think about as you start university. Whether you have a clear idea of where your future aspirations lie or want to consider the broad range of opportunities available once you have a Birmingham degree, our Careers Network can help you achieve your goal.
Our unique careers guidance service is tailored to your academic subject area, offering a specialised team (in each of the five academic colleges) who can give you expert advice. Our team sources exclusive work experience opportunities to help you stand out amongst the competition, with mentoring, global internships and placements available to you. Once you have a career in your sights, one-to-one support with CVs and job applications will help give you the edge.