MSc Plant Biology & Biotechnology
University College Dublin
Earliest start date
* full time non-EU fee per year - € 21520; EU fee per year - € 8610
Rapid developments in our understanding of plants and their significance to our wellbeing has been achieved through advances in a range of disciplines including genetics, genomics, cell biology, physiology, ecology and studies on climate change. Graduates of this one-year MSc will be equipped with the knowledge and skills in these recent advances to rise to the future challenges in academia, industry and policy development. Innovation and entrepreneurship permeate the course as central themes and, in addition, a specific module on entrepreneurship in plant biology is delivered. This MSc covers a wide diversity of both topics and approaches, and is taught by a high-profile research-oriented group of academics.
Researchers from the UCD School of Biology and Environmental Science represent the single largest grouping of plant scientists in Ireland, with research interests ranging from genetics and molecular biology of the cell to plant physiology and ecology.
- Outstanding diversity of topics and approaches in plant biology research, covering developments in genetics, cell biology, biotechnology and plant environment interactions.
- High-profile, research-oriented faculty and lectures.
Vision and Values Statement
This programme is aimed at graduates who wish to equip themselves with the knowledge and skills in advanced plant biology and biotechnology, including crop science, genetics, genomics, cell biology, physiology, ecology, and studies on climate change, in order to pursue future careers in plant biology-based industries and PhD research. We aim to provide a learning environment that encourages our students to be active, motivated, and autonomous learners, and to engage in innovation and entrepreneurship. Lectures, tutorials, and small group discussions are key elements in the programme’s design and are delivered by internationally recognised experts in the field. Our students are also given the opportunity to develop a business plan as part of our programme in innovation and entrepreneurship, and to also engage in a 3-month research project to gain advanced experimental skills.
Who should apply?
Full-Time option suitable for:
- Domestic(EEA) applicants: Yes
- International (Non-EEA) applicants currently residing outside of the EEA Region. Yes
Scholarships and Funding
Please note that UCD offers a number of graduate scholarships for full-time, self-funding international students, holding an offer of a place on a UCD graduate degree programme.
Stage 1 - Core
- Plant Biotechnology & Entrepreneurship
- Research Project
- Current Dev. Plant Bio. 2
- Current Dev. Plant Bio. 1
Stage 1 - Option
- Plant Diseases: Biology and Control
- Plant Pathology and Biotechnology
- Biological Imaging
- Applied Bioinformatics
- Diversity of Plant Form & Function
- Experimental Plant Physiology
- Plant Phenotyping: from Basics to Robotics
- Plant Biology Field Course
- Carbon & Sustainability
- Plant Cell Biology
- Developmental Plant Genetics
- Programmed Cell Death in Plants
- Environmental Impact Assessment
- Peatlands & Global Change (On-line)
- Genome Structure and Evolution
- Biological Invasions
- A clear understanding that scientific research can be taken to the marketplace
- Advanced knowledge of the variety of disciplines encompassed within Plant Biology, with emphasis on specific areas of research, which will provide the basis for the development and application of original ideas
- The ability to apply their knowledge to formulate hypotheses and test them using appropriate tools
- The ability to communicate to a specialist and non-specialist audience, in a clear and unambiguous way, the results of their investigations and/or rationale underlying them. Strong focus is put on writing (popular articles, scientific papers), and presenting orally.
- The ability to interpret a variety of different datasets generated in Plant Biology research
- The knowledge and appreciation of how plants/crops, and plant/crop-derived products can be used in wider applications in the biomedical, food and agricultural sciences
- The maturity to continue studying and critically appraise the scientific literature in a largely
Program Tuition Fee
Graduates will have a distinct advantage when applying for PhD studentships or other more advanced graduate training in the area of plant biology and biotechnology.
This MSc is ideal for graduates interested in pursuing scientific careers in academia, agriculture and plant-science based or biotechnology industries. Graduates will have opportunities to pursue postgraduate education and research and work in areas such as plant biotechnology, scientific journalism/publishing and for government agencies involved in governmental and non-governmental policy.