Master's Degree in Agrifood and Environmental Science and Technology
Universidade de Vigo
EUR 1,045 *
Earliest start date
* EU: €835.80 - Non-EU: €1,044.75
The master's aims to provide the basis for the training of researchers who carry out their R+D+i activity in the various links of the food chain, from the correct management and conservation of natural resources and the environment (source of raw materials ) to the latest advances in processing or biotechnology, going through quality and food safety, guaranteeing comprehensive and multidisciplinary training that allows graduates to develop and implement new technologies in the agri-food sector, as well as the development of new products and/or the valuation of those that currently exist in the market.
The social need for researchers in the environmental and agri-food fields becomes evident when the way of life of today's society is analyzed. Indeed, on the one hand, varied, comfortable and long-life foods are demanded, without neglecting their pleasant appearance and cultural traditions.
In addition to the previous priority, the following qualifications or circumstances will be prioritized:
- Graduates in Sciences: Food Science and Technology, Chemistry, Biology, Marine CC and Environmental CC.
- Graduates in Technologies: Agricultural, Chemical and Industrial Engineering.
- Graduates in Health Sciences: Human Nutrition and Dietetics, Pharmacy, Veterinary Medicine and Medicine.
- Other graduates that the CAM considers may have access to this training based on the evaluation of their academic record.
For graduates to obtain any of the 3 specialties offered in the degree, it is necessary to take a total of 8 subjects, which are included in each of them:
Specialty in Environmental Sciences: for which 16 subjects are offered.
The profile of the graduates of this specialty is that of a professional who develops their R&D&i activity in the environmental field, and who can contribute to the agri-food production process by optimizing the use of Galicia's potential in relation to raw materials. for the agri-food industry under the premise of environmental sustainability. It will pay special attention to the processes of degradation and loss of biodiversity in soil, water and biotic environments and the deterioration of associated habitats.
Specialty in Agricultural and Food Sciences: in which 17 subjects are offered.
The profile of graduates in this specialty is that of a professional who develops their R&D&I activity in the field of agricultural and food sciences to support the development of the organic and sustainable production sector through research into new strategies and procedures that guarantee agri-food production, quality, food safety and the development of the food-health binomial.
Specialty in Processes in the Agri-Food Industry: where 17 subjects are offered.
The profile of the graduate in the specialty is that of a researcher who develops his R&D&I activity in the latest advances in industrial processing or biotechnology, including quality and food safety for the development and implementation of new technologies in the agri-food industry, as well as the development of new products and/or the valorization of those that currently exist on the market.
The student can also complete the Master's Degree in Agri-Food and Environmental Science and Technology without specialization, for which they must complete 8 elective subjects to choose from among the 36 of the entire offer of elective subjects of the master's degree.
- CB1 Possess and understand knowledge that provides a basis or opportunity to be original in the development and/or application of ideas, often in a research context.
- CB2 That students know how to apply the knowledge acquired and their ability to solve problems in new or little-known environments within broader (or multidisciplinary) contexts related to their area of study.
- CB3 That students are able to integrate knowledge and face the complexity of formulating judgments based on information that, being incomplete or limited, includes reflections on the social and ethical responsibilities linked to the application of their knowledge and judgments.
- CB4 That students know how to communicate their conclusions and the ultimate knowledge and reasons that support them to specialized and non-specialized audiences in a clear and unambiguous way.
- CB5 That students possess the learning skills that allow them to continue studying in a way that will be largely self-directed or autonomous.
- CG1 That students are able to develop analysis, synthesis and information management skills to contribute to the organization and planning of research activities in the agri-food and environmental sector.
- CG2 That students are able to acquire and apply teamwork skills and abilities, whether or not they are multidisciplinary in nature, in both national and international contexts, recognizing the diversity of points of view, as well as the influence of different schools or forms. of doing.
- CG3 That students are able to develop personal skills of critical and constructive reasoning to improve the functioning of the research projects in which they participate.
- CG4 That students are able to adapt to new situations, with large doses of creativity and ideas to assume the leadership of researchers.
- CG5 That students are capable of developing initiatives and an entrepreneurial spirit with special concern for the quality of life.
- CG6 That students are able to understand the social projection of science.
- CE1 Acquire advanced knowledge about experimental design and statistics useful in the development of research projects.
- CE2 Deepen the knowledge of the techniques for obtaining, recording, processing, validation and analysis of field and laboratory data and apply them in R&D&i in the environmental and agri-food fields.
- CE3 Handle computer programs for quantitative spatial processing and analysis and apply these techniques to various areas of research in the environmental and agri-food fields.
- CE4 Know and integrate all aspects related to standardization and legislation in the field of environmental, agricultural and food quality systems, so that they can apply them within R&D&I activities, paying special attention to safety and traceability (“farm to fork”).
- CE5 Know and understand the technological processes of food production, transformation and preservation, with special attention to the R&D&I of new technologies that respect the quality of food and the environment.
- CE6 Know and understand the environmental management of the processes of the agricultural and food industries, in order to be able to develop R&D&I related to waste (detection, processing, elimination and/or recovery) and be able to transfer it to the sector. productive the advances in research in reducing the impacts of agri-food activities.
- CE7 Develop research in the field of global management of the agri-food chain and the natural environment through the application of environmentally sustainable technologies.
- CE8 Ability to develop research in the field of effective comprehensive food risk management, particularly aimed at the development of new detection and early warning systems for agri-food crises.
- CE9 Ability to research and develop new food manufacturing and preservation processes.
- CE10 Ability to research, design and develop new techniques for extraction, concentration, purification and analysis of natural components, additives or contaminants in foods and ecosystems.
- CE11 Understand the functioning and diversity of ecosystems at different levels and the adaptations to the environments in which they live.
- CE12 Carry out studies to understand the main effects of climate change on the natural resources used in the agri-food industry.
- CT1 Capacity for analysis, organization and planning.
- CT2 Leadership, initiative and entrepreneurial spirit.
- CT3 Oral and written communication in the native and foreign language.
- CT4 Capacity for autonomous learning and information management.
- CT5 Ability to solve problems and make decisions.
- CT6 Interpersonal communication skills.
- CT7 Adaptation to new situations with creativity and innovation.
- CT8 Capacity for critical and self-critical reasoning.
- CT9 Interdisciplinary teamwork.
- CT10 Conflict treatment and negotiation.
- CT11 Motivation for quality with sensitivity towards environmental issues.
The main objective of the degree is the training of specialists for the development of research and technical advice, both in Public Organizations and Companies, on issues related to the environmental sector, food technological system, quality control and food safety, and the factors that directly affect both the health and quality of life of citizens and the productive and socio-economic structure of Galicia.
On the other hand, the master's degree must guarantee advanced training in the following basic pillars:
- Research and development of techniques that allow us to correctly manage and conserve the environment and the natural resources that are the source of raw materials.
- Research and development of new processes and strategies in the production, processing and conservation of food
- Research and development of new strategies and procedures that guarantee food quality and safety
- Research and development in the food-health binomial