The Technological Institute of the South was created on October 9, 1946, through provincial law No. 5051, beginning its activities under the academic dependence of the National University of La Plata. In 1947 the Nation and the province of Buenos Aires signed an agreement by which both would contribute the funds for its operation and maintenance. On February 12, 1948, then-President Juan D. Perón appointed Dr. Miguel López Francés as Rector, who should adopt the necessary measures for his organization. UNS staircaseThe official inauguration of the ITS took place on February 20, 1948. The university category was granted to it in 1950, but it was abolished in 1952, returning it to depend on the Ministry of Economy of the Nation. The first graduate of the Institute was the engineer Nereo Roberto Parro, in 1953, who was a native of Tornquist. In 1955, after the fall of the Perón government, Professor Pedro González Prieto was appointed as its auditor, and negotiations with the national government began to acquire the status of a national university. After the studies carried out by an advisory commission appointed by the Executive Power, the creation of the National University of the South was resolved through decree-law No. 154, of January 5, 1956.