MSc in International Business - Entrepreneurship and Business Development
Maastricht University, School of Business and Economics
EUR 2,209 **
Request info *
Earliest start date
* for non-EU/EEA | December 1 for EU/EEA
** statutory fee, institutional fee for this program is: € 15,800
Are you entrepreneurially minded and excited by the prospect of blended learning rather than just papers and books? Then the specialization in Entrepreneurship & Business Development could be right for you. This specialization is part of the master's program in International Business and is for students interested in the launching of start-up ventures and new business development by existing corporations. It offers state-of-the-art insights on how individuals and organizations can increase their chances of entrepreneurial success. It also looks into how entrepreneurs can ride the waves of digitalization and sustainability as two of the most powerful market influences. In today’s rapidly changing business environment, entrepreneurship has become the new paradigm for strategic thinking and this program prepares students for a successful career in this dynamic and entrepreneurial setting.
- Combines (corporate) entrepreneurship with digitalization and sustainability
- Prepares you for a career as an entrepreneur, new venture manager, business development manager, general manager, business consultant
- 1-year, full-time master’s taught in English
- Starts in February & September
- Weekly: 8 hrs classes, 12 hrs group work, 20 hrs individual study
- Double Degree options
Why this program?
Entrepreneurship & Business Development is about seizing the day, and taking advantage of opportunities when they're presented. Why wait until graduation to start gaining valuable experience in management? During the Entrepreneurship & Business Development program, you’ll gain knowledge of strategy, organization, and finance tailored to the unique setting of new and small businesses operating under uncertainty and resource constraints.
Scholarships and Funding
It is Maastricht University’s (UM) mission to offer students from all over the world the opportunity to develop into active, globally oriented thinkers that are ready to make a positive contribution to their societies.
UM’s high-quality, innovative education based on small-scale Problem-Based Learning (PBL) in an international and intercultural setting prepares students for this purpose.
As an open and accessible academic community, UM offers several scholarships to support top-performing undergraduate and graduate students with personal development potential that are experiencing financial difficulties to pursue a degree at UM. UM scholarship students function as important ambassadors of the university during and after their studies.UM scholarship students are selected on the basis of their academic excellence, extracurricular engagement, active citizenship and financial need. As the number of scholarships is limited, the selection process is highly competitive.
Before applying for a UM scholarship, please take into account the factors summed up below. Read these carefully, to make sure that the valuable time you invest in applying pays off:
- You will have to apply for a study programme at UM before applying for a scholarship;
- You are only allowed to apply for one UM scholarship, multiple applications will be disqualified;
- Verify if your nationality is eligible for the scholarship;
- Verify whether your study programme is participating in the scholarship;
- Ensure that if the scholarship covers only the tuition fees, you are able to finance your own living expenses (rent, food and insurances) for the complete duration of your studies.
Amazing education opportunities
Premium honors program
Premium gives you that extra edge by offering real-world experience during your studies. As part of a team of students, you’ll build the experience and skills employers are looking for. Work on a real-world assignment for a company, NGO, or educational institution. Create a personal development plan. Participate in intensive individual coaching, masterclasses, and workshops.
Internships give you practical experience that enhances your studies and increases your employability. Many graduates often end up working at the organization where they intern. SBE encourages master’s students to do an extracurricular, 8-26 week internship. The SBE Internship Office has an extensive database of internship opportunities and is on hand for guidance and counseling.
Combine thesis & internship
Rather than face a trade-off between finishing their studies and doing an internship, SBE students have the option of combining the two. During the Thesis-Internship Programme (TIP), your thesis will be written on a topic relevant to a company or organization during a part-time internship. This gives your thesis focus and applicability and gives you practical work experience.
Double Degree program
The Double Degree program at the School of Business and Economics lets you study at two universities and earn two master’s degrees! You can participate at the beginning of the academic year in September, completing part of your master's program at an institution abroad and part at SBE. After completing all the requirements of both master's programs, you will be awarded a degree from each university. Almost all Double Degree programs can be completed with little or no delay in your studies and with minimal extra fees. The Double Degree program has carefully selected partner universities that are high-profile, research-oriented, and preferably accredited by both EQUIS and AACSB.
Courses & curriculum 2022 - 2023
- EBC4041Strategic Entrepreneurship and Innovation
- EBC4265 Data Analytics
- EBS4018 Writing a Master’s Thesis Proposal IB Entrepreneurship
- EBC4181 Entrepreneurial Finance
- EBC4266 Digital Entrepreneurship
- Master's Thesis
- or Thesis Internship Programme
- EBC4106 Business Innovation and Sustainable Development
Rankings & recognition
- Triple Crown accreditation - School of Business and Economics
- UM is the sixth-best Young University in the world
- Financial Times lauded SBE in best practice examples of sustainability, ethics, and social purpose in teaching and education methods
- Financial Times MIM 2021: MSc International Business ranked #37 Masters in Management
The Entrepreneurship & Business Development program works with several organizations that can help you with your career, your thesis, and the student company.
- The Centre for Entrepreneurship organizes business plan competitions and round-table discussions with entrepreneurs and invites well-known entrepreneurs to speak.
- The UM SME Portal gathers issues from small businesses used as case studies and company projects within the program.
- Department’s researchers are connected to the European Council of Small Businesses and with EIM, a research institute focusing on small businesses.
- The UM Holding and UM faculties offer advice on your thesis or student company, including buying shares and advice on parenting issues.
As a graduate, you can look for work in:
- business start-ups
- taking over family businesses
- management functions in SMEs
- public research institutes
- venture capital firms and banks
- consultancy firms
- Ph.D. research into entrepreneurship and related topics
You could also decide to go for an MBA in Maastricht:
- The MaastrichtMBA
Program Admission Requirements
Demonstrate your commitment and readiness to succeed in business school by taking the GMAT exam – the most widely used exam for admissions that measures your critical thinking and reasoning skills.
Download the GMAT mini quiz to get a flavour of the questions you’ll find in the exam.