MSc in Economics and Strategy in Emerging Markets
Maastricht University, School of Business and Economics
EUR 2,209 **
01 May 2024*
Earliest start date
* for non-EU/EEA | June 1 for EU/EEA
** statutory fee, institutional fee for this program is: € 15,800
Are you fascinated by how emerging markets, such as those of the BRIC countries, work? Do you want the extra challenge of conducting business across borders and in a multi-cultural environment? Do you look forward to operating in rapidly changing economies? If so, the master’s program in Economics and Strategy in Emerging Markets could be right for you. In addition to acquiring knowledge of the specific opportunities and challenges related to emerging economies, you’ll develop the professional skills needed for an international career in economics, business, or policymaking, with a strong emphasis on emerging markets.
- Solve complex business and economic problems related to emerging markets
- Work in small international teams on real-world cases
- Offered by UM and United Nations University (UNU-MERIT)
- 1-year, full-time master’s, taught in English
- Start in September
- Weekly: 8 hours classes, 12 hours group work, 20 hours independent study
- You’ll get an MSc in Economics and Strategy in Emerging Markets
Why this program?
The master’s program in Economics and Strategy in Emerging Markets combines aspects of economic analysis and business economics to address issues related to emerging markets. It is an interdisciplinary degree that will provide you with the knowledge required for a successful international career in business or policy-making.
You will learn to apply tools from economic theory and data analysis to gain insights into the institutional and policy contexts of emerging economies. These insights can be used to advise business and policy leaders on sustainable strategies for economic development and the integration of countries and firms into global exchanges of products, knowledge, and capital.
Taking advantage of the business opportunities and addressing the economic challenges that are posed by emerging markets requires a comprehensive and multi-disciplinary approach. In this program, you will examine relevant issues primarily from the perspectives of (macroeconomics, development economics, economic history, trade) and business (strategic management, finance, supply chain management), with insights from political science and governance.
This multi-disciplinary approach will help you develop a thorough understanding of complex issues such as:
- the economic role of emerging markets in the global economy
- international macroeconomics and business strategies in emerging economies
- socio-economic development in emerging markets
- the impact of governance on economic development
- how the development of emerging markets affects other economic actors (eg. MNEs, workers) and economies
You’ll learn what drives the high growth in these markets, how they are evolving, where the next business opportunities will be, and how to make responsible management and policy decisions in these rapidly changing and sometimes fragile economies.
Skills for a successful career
In addition to a broad knowledge base, you will also develop skills that will help you succeed in a wide range of professional environments. You will receive practical training in skills such as:
- using empirical research skills and research methodology to analyze economic phenomena
- utilizing specific software and data analysis tools
- formulating business and policy strategies and writing policy briefs
- giving oral presentations
- effectively collaborating with people from various national, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds
Collaboration with United Nations University
This program is offered by Maastricht University's School of Business and Economics (SBE), in collaboration with the United Nations University (UNU-MERIT). The instructors from UNU-MERIT have extensive experience working on issues related to emerging markets, including:
- innovation and innovation systems
- sustainable development
- economic growth and structural change
- policy evaluation (carrying out research for UNIDO, UNICEF, or the World Bank)
Amazing education opportunities
Premium honors program
Premium gives you that extra edge by offering real-world experience during your studies. As part of a team of students, you’ll build the experience and skills employers are looking for. Work on a real-world assignment for a company, NGO, or educational institution. Create a personal development plan. Participate in intensive individual coaching, masterclasses, and workshops.
Internships give you practical experience that enhances your studies and increases your employability. Many graduates often end up working at the organization where they intern. SBE encourages master’s students to do an extracurricular, 8-26 week internship. The SBE Internship Office has an extensive database of internship opportunities and is on hand for guidance and counseling.
Combine thesis & internship
Rather than face a trade-off between finishing their studies and doing an internship, SBE students have the option of combining the two. During the Thesis-Internship Programme (TIP), your thesis will be written on a topic relevant to a company or organization during a part-time internship. This gives your thesis focus and applicability and gives you practical work experience.
Courses & curriculum 2022 - 2023
The program is structured around two semesters. During the first semester, you will:
- take a number of core courses that cover the general theoretical and empirical aspects related to emerging markets
- conduct a major policy project on a topic of your choice
- develop professional skills as part of the core courses and in specialized skills training
- take a course on a language from an emerging economy
In the second semester, you will choose more targeted elective courses and write your thesis. The thesis, as well as the project of your individual papers, will give you the opportunity to develop more specific, region-based expertise.
- EBC4244 International Macroeconomics and Finance for Emerging Markets
- EBC4233 Empirical Methods in Economics
- EBP4004 Policy in Emerging Markets
- EBS4036 Professional Development in Emerging Markets
- EBC4247 Socio-Economic Development in Emerging Markets
- EBC4246 Strategic Management in Emerging Markets
- EBS4037 Writing a Master's Thesis
- Master's Thesis or Thesis Internship Programme
Rankings & recognition
- Financial Times lauded SBE in best practice examples of sustainability, ethics, and social purpose in teaching and education methods
- UM is the sixth-best Young University in the world
- Triple Crown accreditation - School of Business and Economics
Scholarships and Funding
It is Maastricht University’s (UM) mission to offer students from all over the world the opportunity to develop into active, globally oriented thinkers that are ready to make a positive contribution to their societies.
UM’s high-quality, innovative education based on small-scale Problem-Based Learning (PBL) in an international and intercultural setting prepares students for this purpose.
As an open and accessible academic community, UM offers several scholarships to support top-performing undergraduate and graduate students with personal development potential that are experiencing financial difficulties to pursue a degree at UM. UM scholarship students function as important ambassadors of the university during and after their studies.UM scholarship students are selected on the basis of their academic excellence, extracurricular engagement, active citizenship and financial need. As the number of scholarships is limited, the selection process is highly competitive.
Before applying for a UM scholarship, please take into account the factors summed up below. Read these carefully, to make sure that the valuable time you invest in applying pays off:
- You will have to apply for a study programme at UM before applying for a scholarship;
- You are only allowed to apply for one UM scholarship, multiple applications will be disqualified;
- Verify if your nationality is eligible for the scholarship;
- Verify whether your study programme is participating in the scholarship;
- Ensure that if the scholarship covers only the tuition fees, you are able to finance your own living expenses (rent, food and insurances) for the complete duration of your studies.
There is an increasing demand for professionals who are knowledgeable about emerging markets and who are able to foster relationships between stakeholders in developed and emerging economies. The program’s dual focus on economics and business will give you a broad knowledge base. This, combined with the skills you develop, will make you well qualified to work in a wide range of professional environments and positions.
This master’s program prepares you for career opportunities at organizations such as:
- multinational companies
- governmental agencies
- policymaking institutes
- research institutes
You’ll also be qualified to pursue many different positions within those organizations, including:
- executive functions
Your experience with formulating and analyzing data-driven research questions will also be valuable if you choose to pursue a Ph.D.
Program Admission Requirements
Demonstrate your commitment and readiness to succeed in business school by taking the GMAT exam – the most widely used exam for admissions that measures your critical thinking and reasoning skills.
Download the GMAT mini quiz to get a flavour of the questions you’ll find in the exam.