Master of Arts in Maritime Civilizations
University of Haifa, International School
USD 10,600 / per year *
Earliest start date
15 Oct 2023
* + service fees
The International MA Program in Maritime Civilizations offers students an exceptional opportunity to explore the history, archaeology, and fabric of maritime societies, as well as the natural environment in which they developed, and the anthropogenic environments in which they currently exist. During the program, students examine a variety of fields pertaining to maritime civilizations and the marine environment, including coastal and underwater archaeology, ancient ship construction, marine biology and ecology, maritime history, maritime geoarchaeology, and archaeozoology.
The interdisciplinary curriculum offers advanced knowledge and research training to students interested in exploring human interactions with the sea in a dynamic learning environment. Special emphasis is placed on harbors, ships, and seafaring as part of the maritime heritage of the Mediterranean. The program sheds light on the ecological and geomorphological dynamics in the eastern Mediterranean, and their influence on the interaction between human societies and the sea in ancient and modern times. This program is based on ongoing, active research carried out in the field and laboratories at the Department of Maritime Civilizations and the Leon Recanati Institute for Maritime Studies.
The one-year program is taught in English over three consecutive semesters from October through September. Students wishing to pursue the thesis track will need to submit a research thesis within one year of completing their coursework, which may require remaining at the university for one or two additional semesters. Upon completion of the program, students will be awarded a Master of Arts in Maritime Civilizations.
- Provide students with an understanding of the sea and maritime civilizations and to prepare them for research in their chosen areas of specialization.
- Train a new generation of maritime-oriented scholars, researchers, environmental activists and policymakers, consultants, and educators.
- Qualify and certify excavating coastal and underwater archaeologists.
- Provide students with specialized knowledge of the effects of human interaction with the Mediterranean Sea.
- Offer an excellent academic program that combines classroom study with hands-on scientific exploration in the field and laboratories.