The UCL Institute of Ophthalmology is world-leading for research and teaching in ophthalmology and biomedical science. We deliver advanced ophthalmic research and education in partnership with Moorfields Eye Hospital.
At the UCL Institute of Ophthalmology (IoO), we have a long-standing partnership with Moorfields Eye Hospital. Together, we represent the largest co-located site for eye research, education and care in the world.
We offer a range of programs and short courses designed to help you advance your career in eye care, as well as a Bioscience Entrepreneurship MSc aimed at life science graduates looking to learn about the business of biotech.
To deliver research and education in vision and eye disease to benefit sight and society in the UK and worldwide.
Our mission is to promote and expand the unique eye research and education that we provide, and to take that from our labs to patients and the rest of society. We aim to establish collaborative networks across England to harness the strength of the knowledge and research base across the country. Our close partnership with Moorfields Eye Hospital means that we can realise this vision, ‘from bench to bedside’ in a seamless way, where the research is also aimed at clinical applications and where clinical requirements shape the research. Thanks to this strategic partnership, we offer a number of joint degree programs. For our students, this means access to innovative facilities, connection to a growing network of peers, and support from highly experienced and professional tutors.
We work to bring out our translational research to generate better therapies, diagnostics and knowledge of eye care.
We do this by:
- Leading globally in Fundamental Research
- Producing high-impact research for society and patients
- Fostering inclusivity, enterprise and innovation
- Equipping students with knowledge, skills and boldness to succeed
Our Core Values
Why study with us?
The UCL Institute of Ophthalmology offers a research and teaching environment ranked as world-leading and is home to the largest co-located site for eye research, education and care in the world.
- The UCL Institute of Ophthalmology is ranked the best place in the world to study ophthalmology (CWUR Rankings by Subject 2017)
- In biomedical and health sciences, UCL is 1st in Europe for papers in the top 5% of their field by citation rate (2017-2020, CWTS Leiden Ranking 2022)
- UCL hosts more UKRI Future Leader Fellowships than any other UK university, with three academics at the UCL Institute of Ophthalmology receiving the prestigious fellowships over the last three years