Master in Marine and Coastal Systems University of Algarve
The Marine and Coastal Systems master program (MaCS - SIMCO) integrates knowledge using an interdisciplinary approach. It focuses on the study of processes operating within the coastal and marine systems, subject to complex geological, physical, chemical, biological, and social forcings.
- Taught modules, core, and optional
- Research training modules
- Fieldwork and field visits (more than 50h) and use of field equipment
- Laboratory work (more than 200h) and use of extensive laboratory facilities and equipment
- Science communication in seminars
- Scientific diving (optional)
Conditions of access
- Holders of a bachelor's degree or legal equivalent in the areas of Environmental Sciences, Biological Sciences, Marine Sciences, Earth Sciences, Physics, Chemistry, and Engineering;
- Holders of a foreign academic degree conferred following a 1st cycle of studies (bachelor’s), organized in accordance with the principles of the Bologna Process by a State joining this Process;
- Holders of a foreign academic degree that is recognized as meeting the objectives of the bachelor's degree (1st cycle of studies) by the Scientific or Technical-Scientific Council of the organic unit(s) responsible for the study cycle;
- In duly justified cases, candidates who present an academic, scientific, or professional curriculum relevant to the attendance of this cycle of studies, are recognized by the Council Scientific or Technical-Scientific of the organic unit(s) responsible for the cycle of studies.
Criteria for selection of the candidates
- Academic qualification (50%)
- Final degree (bachelor’s, 1st cycle of studies) grade (30%)
- Professional experience (20%)
- Curriculum Vitae (with personal data, academics, and professionals)
- Certificate of Qualifications, with the discrimination of the classifications obtained in each unit
Scholarships & funding
As we are a public university, no studentships are available for Bachelor, Master, or Ph.D. degrees, independently of the students' nationality. Nevertheless, for the second academic year (thesis research) there is a possibility to apply for a studentship in research projects running in our science and technology centers. You can apply for a studentship while completing your first academic year of the Master but we cannot guarantee that there will be funding for all students for the second research year.
- National Students: 1100 Euros
- International Students*: 4000 Euros
- Application Fee: 50 Euros
- Registration Tuition and School Insurance: 175 Euros
Note: The tuition of this course can be paid in 10 installments, the first at the time of registration.
* in accordance with Decree-Law No. 36/2014, changed by Decree-Law No.62/2018, of 6th August, international students are nationals of a country that is not a Member State of the European Union and are not a legal resident in Portugal for more than 2 uninterrupted years by 1st of January of the enrollment year.
- Technical and scientific employment
- Advising/mediating functions in the processes of participatory management
- Consultancy at/for companies (environmental restoration, ocean energy, management, dredging, oil, spatial planning, marine resources)
- Lead functions in the implementation of new legal national (and European) instruments on the territorial/economic marine and coastal field