Master in Biotechnology
University of Algarve
EUR 4,000 / per year **
Request info *
Earliest start date
* 2023/2024: 1st round - January; 2nd round - March ; 3rd round - May; 4th round - August;
** National students: 1100€/year; International students: 4000€/year
The Biotechnology MSc provides advanced-level training in Biotechnology, Biological, and Biochemical Engineering.
The course equips students with the knowledge and skills necessary to perform: analysis as higher technicians in the health, environment, food, and farm sector and quality control analysis; in Research and Technology Development in public and private institutions to pursue a Ph.D.
The MSc also provides life-long training opportunities for professionals of the health and education sector and pharmaceutical industry wishing to update their knowledge in this important area.
Conditions of Access
- Candidates will be considered to be admissible to the MSc program if they comply with one or more of the following conditions:
- Hold a Portuguese BSc degree in Biotechnology, Biochemistry, Biology, or related areas.
- Hold a non-Portuguese BSc degree (or equivalent) from a country that adheres to the Bologna principles and where the organization of the degree is similar to that in Portugal (eg. a 3-year course)
- Hold a non-Portuguese BSc degree (or equivalent) that is considered to confer the necessary educational level for the pursuit of MSc studies.
- Has an educational, scientific, or professional track record that reveals the candidate has the necessary capacity to pursue MSc studies
Criteria for selection of the candidates
Candidates will be selected and ranked for admission to the MSc program on the basis of:
- The adequacy of the scientific area of the candidates' BSc and/or previous activities.
- The final classification of the candidate's BSc degree.
- The educational, scientific, and professional accomplishments are presented in the CV.
- An up-to-date CV
- A copy of the BSc diploma
- A list of all the disciplines in the studied BSc degree with the final mark of each discriminated.
- Proof of payment (bank transfer) of the application fee (50 Euros).
Scholarships & funding
As we are a public university, no studentships are available for Bachelor, Master, or Ph.D. degrees, independently of the student's nationality. Nevertheless, for the second academic year (thesis research) there is a possibility to apply for a studentship in research projects running in our science and technology centers. You can apply for a studentship while completing your first academic year of the Master but we cannot guarantee that there will be funding for all students for the second research year.
- National Students: 1100 Euros
- International Students*: 4000 Euros
- Application Fee: 50 Euros
- Registration Fee and School Insurance: 175 Euros
Note: The tuition of this course can be paid in 10 installments, the first at the time of registration.
* in accordance with Decree-Law No. 36/2014, changed by Decree-Law No.62/2018, of 6th August, international students are nationals of a country that is not a Member State of the European Union and are not a legal resident in Portugal for more than 2 uninterrupted years by 1st of January of the enrollment year.