Master of Science in Computer Science Tennessee State University
The Department of Computer Science offers a Master of Science degree in Computer Science with three high-demand concentrations: (1) Data Science, (2) Cybersecurity and Networking, and (3) High-Performance Computing and Bioinformatics.
The program provides graduate students with a broad-based knowledge in various contemporary computer science fields including data science, cybersecurity, computer networks, artificial intelligence, bioinformatics, high-performance computing, databases, advanced computer programming, algorithm design, mobile app development, and enterprise computing,
Our mission, commensurate with the mission of the University and the College of Engineering, is to provide quality Computer Science education, to pursue theoretically and applied research in the critical areas of computer science, and to engage in service to its constituents.
The Program Educational Objectives of the Computer Science Graduate Program are:
- To systematically identify, formulate, and solve computer science problems.
- To apply fundamental knowledge of computer science to develop computing systems for solving real-world problems or to pursue graduate studies.
- To utilize communication and analytical skills to work collaboratively and effectively, including supportive and leadership roles on interdisciplinary teams.
- To understand and demonstrate professional and ethical conduct in the global society and to demonstrate the desire for professional growth and life-long learning.
Why Master's Degree in Computer Science?
- MS in Computer Science at TSU is a signature program.
- We offer high-demand concentrations in (1) Data Science, (2) Cybersecurity and Networking, and (3) HPC and Bioinformatics.
- Nashville is the capital of the healthcare industry with over 400 healthcare companies in Middle Tennessee.
- There is a very strong local, national, and global job market.
- TSU Computer Science has established partnerships with Google, Amazon, Oracle, IBM, Bank of America, 5/3 Bank, HCA, and many more global companies.
- TSU Computer Science has exceptional faculty. They attracted about $6,000,000 grant fundings in the last 7 years as Principal Investigators from the Department of Defense, NASA, NIH, NSF, US Army, AFRL, and USDA.
- Diversity is one of the core values of the University.
The program provides various opportunities for students to participate in discipline-specific activities outside the classroom so that in-class learning is augmented.
- The Department has strong and long-standing relationships with major IT companies such as Google and Bank of America and numerous opportunities are provided for students to have internship positions in the industry.
- Students participate in multiple hackathons organized by partner companies.
- The College encourages all graduate students to present their research at the University Research Symposium that has been held annually at TSU for over 40 years.
- The College has a well-established monthly seminar series and experts from various disciplines in the field of computing are invited to deliver an hour-long speech that is open to all graduate students in the program.
- The Department has a regular study abroad program every summer. As part of this program, a graduate course will be on offer and there is high demand among graduate students to participate in this program. A list of courses offered as a study abroad is as follows:
- 2020 (Turkey): COMP 5900 Deep Learning
- 2019 (Turkey) and 2017 (South America): COMP 5600 Mobile App Development
- 2018 (Turkey): COMP 5900 Game Programming