MRes in Biosciences
Swansea, United Kingdom
1 - 3 year
Full time, Part time
GBP 20,400 / per year **
Request info *
Earliest start date
* EU/International applicants – 15th July; UK Applicants – 15th August
** UK/EU students: £4,407 full-time; £2,203.50/year part-time. International students: £20,400 full-time; £10,200/year part-time
The MRes in Biosciences gives you expert research training embedded in our world-class research groups embedded within one or more of our research themes in Biosciences. You will benefit from our specialist facilities on the way to achieving a research qualification of genuine distinction.
Our specialist facilities include:
- A custom-designed £12.5 million coastal research vessel.
- The unique Centre for Sustainable Aquatic Research.
- Advanced computing facilities with high-end graphics workstations.
- Bespoke behaviour and ecology laboratory facilities.
- Dedicated molecular ecology and endocrinology facilities and laboratories.
The first term consists of two compulsory modules providing core science skills, knowledge of research methods and scientific reviewing, and one module chosen from a range on offer from the College of Science. The second and third terms are occupied by the research project.
How you are Supervised
Over the year-long course, you will undertake a series of taught modules before embarking on a major research project under the guidance of expert research staff that will guide and support your development of independent research skills, leading to a dissertation written in the style of a scientific paper.
If you are a Welsh speaker our dedicated academy, Academi Hywel Teifi is here to support you throughout your time at Swansea University. We offer you:
- An interview through the medium of Welsh when applying for a place.
- The option to receive your personal correspondence in Welsh - we will then communicate with you in your language of choice.
- The option to write and submit your coursework or exams through the medium of Welsh (even if you have chosen to study in English) and every effort will be made to mark your work in its original language.
- A Welsh-speaking personal tutor.
- One-to-one support to improve your academic Welsh language skills.
Since 2011, there has been a 40% increase in the number of students studying through the medium of Welsh at Swansea University and our *TEF data over the last two years shows that Welsh-medium students are high achievers in regards to employability (*Swansea University TEF return 2017 and 2018).
Swansea University was named University of the Year in the 2019 Whatuni Student Choice Awards for the second time in five years. As well as being crowned University of the Year, Swansea University took the top spot in the International category and placed top three in the Postgraduate, and Course and Lecturers categories. The Whatuni Student Choice Awards are voted for entirely by students, with more than 41,000 reviews and comments submitted from more than 160 UK institutions.
In the prestigious Guardian University Guide 2021, we are placed 24th in the UK and have won the Welsh University of the Year title for the second time in three years, cementing our position as Wales’ leading higher education institution.
We place our students at the heart of everything. As a result, we achieved a gold rating, the highest rating possible, in the national Teaching Excellence and Student Outcomes Framework (TEF) and are ranked 6th in the UK for student satisfaction in the National Student Survey for 2020.
Our stunning waterfront campuses make us a desirable location for students and staff from around the world, and our multicultural community provides a global perspective, enabling those who join us to develop skills and knowledge that set them on successful and enriching careers.
English Language Requirements
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities (like this one) around the world.