Master of Arts International Relations and Security Studies Sultan Qaboos University
Join our complimentary Lecture!
- Topic: "The Changing Geopolitics of the Middle East"
- Presented By: Prof. Houchang Hassan-Yari
- Date : Monday 28 November 2022
- Time: 2:00 PM (MCT time)
- Link for Google MEET: https://meet.google.com/ijb-mfqw-mca
The student should complete the coursework requirements specified in the degree plan with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00. For the thesis, the candidate is required to conduct the necessary literature review, undertake the research, analyze the results, write the report and communicate the results at an oral defense. This work need not necessarily be original research but should be a new application of ideas. The student should identify the research problem in consultation with the supervisor, which normally takes place in the second semester. The student should register for the thesis in the third semester after having completed at least 12 credits of the course work.
- Applicants should have a Bachelor degree from Sultan Qaboos University or from any other recognized university in Security Studies, International Relations, or a relative subject, with a Cumulative Grade Point Average of not less than 2.75 on a 4 point scale, or
- Two year’s Work experience is a must for candidates with a Cumulative Grade Point Average between 2.5 and 2.74 in the Bachelor degree, or
- Applicants who have a bachelor's degree from a recognized institution and a postgraduate diploma in a related specialization from a recognized institution of higher education with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 on a 4-point scale or its equivalent.
- Candidates from other disciplines may be asked to attend additional bridging courses before starting the program.
- Applicant must submit a release letter or a study leave from employer for full-time study or no objection letter for part-time study, addressed to the dean of postgraduate studies at SQU. An un-employed applicant needs to submit a statement from The Ministry of Labour documenting the unemployment status of the applicant.
Before starting the program the admitted candidates should submit an English Proficiency Test Certificate band (6) or higher in academic International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic or a score of (79) or higher in the International TOEFL - IBT.
The department of Political Science will assess applicants according to its criteria, which may include a written test and/or an interview.
Applicants for Postgraduates Programs must upload the following documents electronically into the online application system. (PDF or JPG formats only
- Attested Degree Certificate: For Ph.D. programs, a Master Degree and Bachelor Degree Certificates are required For Master and Postgraduate Diploma programs, a Bachelor degree is required.
- Attested Official Transcripts: For Ph.D. programs, Master Degree transcript is 6 Identification Card or Residency Card. required. For Master and Postgraduate Diploma programs, Bachelor's degree transcript is required (The grade classification key which can be found at the back of the official transcript must be submitted).
- Curriculum Vitae (CV): It must show personal information, current employment details, and previous experience.
- English Proficiency Test Certificate: Applicants must submit an (IELTS) Academic, or (IBT) TOEFL international test results with the required level for the program applied for, provided that the test date is not more than two years from the date of the application submission period. (Test results must be submitted before 28/7/2022, except for the translation program which requires the English Proficiency Test Certificate to be submitted before sitting for the written test).
- Passport (Visa copy must be shown for non-Omani resident applicants).
- Identification Card or Residency Card.
- A Personal Photo, with blue or white background.
- Release letter or a Study Leave from the employer for full-time study or no objection letter for part-time study addressed to the Dean of Postgraduate Studies at SQU. An unemployed applicant needs to submit a statement from The Ministry of Labour documenting the unemployment status of the applicant. (can be submitted before 28/7/2022).