M.S. in Information Assurance
St Cloud State University
St. Cloud, USA
2 - 3 semesters
Full time, Part time
USD 4,650 / per semester **
16 Feb 2024*
Earliest start date
* International Outside U.S.: February 15; U.S. Citizens and International Inside U.S.: May 1
** Minnesota Resident and Reciprocity per semester; Non-Resident per semester: $7,065
This comprehensive, interdisciplinary program will prepare you as an expert in information assurance. You will be equipped with information security technologies and knowledge to support and protect the nation's information infrastructure and conduct advanced research. You will develop skills in both management and technical areas.
- Students are eligible to apply for the Scholarship for Service scholarship from the National Science Foundation that includes a $34,000 stipend per year for up to two years, up to 24 credits of tuition per year, up to $2,000 for books and supplies per year, and up to $4,000 for professional development and travel to a cybersecurity job fair.
- Offered as a five-year undergraduate/graduate combined program through the Information Systems Track.
- Can be completed in 2-3 semesters
- Graduate assistantships available.
- Pre-requisite courses are available for those without a strong computing background.
- Offered through the Department of Information Systems together with the Department of Computer Science and Information Technology.
- Students may be able to apply for the Department of Defense (DoD) Cyber Scholarship Program (CySP.) Benefits to students may include: a per year stipend of $27,000 (undergraduate) or $32,000 (graduate), full cost of tuition, books, required fees (including health care), internship, employment and more! Contact Dr. Mark Schmidt, [email protected], for details
- All faculty hold a Ph.D. in their field.
- Designated as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance/Cybersecurity by the National Security Agency and the Department of Homeland Security.
- Designed using the Association for Computing and Machinery Model Curriculum and Guidelines and the National Security Agency Guidelines and Requirements.
University Facts & Statistics
- 90 graduate programs leading to graduate certificates, master’s and doctoral degrees
- More than 300 graduate assistantships awarded per year
- Graduate assistants receive up to a $9,250 stipend per year and tuition reimbursement for up to eight graduate credits per semester.
Requirements and Details
A baccalaureate degree in information systems, computer science, computer engineering, computer networking, telecommunication or related programs is preferred. A baccalaureate degree or higher in any field with two years of work experience in the information systems field is also considered.
Lack of an information system or computer science background is usually not a major concern since prerequisite courses are available if needed.
A background in the sciences and mathematics is essential.
Strong communication skills, verbal and written are needed for coursework demands.
Fully-qualified applicants will have one year of programming experience and have taken courses that cover the following topics:
- Database modeling
- Network structure/architecture
- Operating systems theory
- Discrete structures
Five-Year B.A./M.S. Track
The Five-Year Information Systems Track is an accelerated, rigorous program option available to St. Cloud State undergraduates who maintain a 3.0 GPA and who show the ability and discipline necessary to successfully complete an accelerated combination undergraduate program in Information Systems and graduate program in Information Assurance.
- Students may complete the Bachelor of Science in Information Systems and Master of Science in Information Assurance with nine fewer required semester credits than if they chose to take the BS and MS through the traditional tracks.
- Students interested in the five-year track are encouraged to begin a discussion with the Information Assurance graduate directory early in the sophomore year. This will allow for the correct selection of course work.
- Students should apply and are eligible to be granted early provisional admission to graduate school upon successful completion of the undergraduate requirements detailed below:
- After completing or registering for the 21 required core credits of IS 250, IS 356, IS 363, IS 443, IS 450, IS 451, and IS 460, and before taking 500-level classes, students should apply formally to the School of Graduate Studies.
- Following provisional graduate admission, students may select nine credits from any 500 level IS elective courses during the fourth year of the program.
- Provisionally admitted students will be coded as five-year students and a degree audit (DARS) created to reflect the requirements of the accelerated track.
- Students remain in undergraduate student status through the fourth year of the program which may affect financial aid eligibility. In addition, students will need to request permission and override to enroll in graduate-level courses through submission of the Undergraduate Permission to Enroll form.
- Credits completed at the graduate level are used to fulfill requirements at the undergraduate level.
- All credits required for the graduate degree will be completed at the graduate level.
- Students may opt-out early with a bachelor’s degree provided certain course requirements are satisfied. Graduate-level courses used to complete the undergraduate degree may not be applicable to a graduate degree program in the future.
- Students may enroll in culminating project credits, such as thesis, starred paper, or internship courses between their fourth and fifth years. Students are encouraged to begin work on their culminating project during the summer between their fourth and fifth years.
- Five-year students are eligible for graduate assistantship funding after completion of the Bachelor’s degree.
- Students must maintain at a minimum a 3.0 GPA in all 500- and 600-level courses
- Risk management
- Software system security
- Database security
- Network security
English Language Requirements
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities (like this one) around the world.